Setting up ground blinds?

bobhunts

WKR
How far before season do you set a blind so the goats become used to seeing it and no longer shy away? Gonna do my first hunt of this type this year on a large tract of private land in Colorado.Bob.

packer58

WKR
Hey Bob, It's a good idea to get your blind set up as early as you can, I'd say a minimum two to three weeks. The longer the better so the animals become desensitized to something new in there world. After a while your blind will be just become part of the landscape to the antelope. If the private ground your hunting has cattle on it you should check your blind from time to time, the cows may use it for a rubbing post........you know what that means!!

Good luck on your hunt.....

OP
B

bobhunts

WKR
Thanks packer! We have T-posts and wire so the blinds will not be rubbed on by the cattle as there are plenty on this land tract. We will be setting up three of the blinds at windmill water holes. My biggest worry other than the cattle is the wind! So I am gonna use some tent stakes from my wall tent. I hope that works. Bob.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep... You got all the right ideas and information. Protection from cattle and wind and set up at least 2 weeks prior.

I am always reminded of 2007 when I had numerous blinds set up at small water holes. A flash flood type rain and all my blinds were in the water, shredded, or blew halfway across the county and were found in fence lines. It was an expensive storm for me and my gear that year. It's always a gamble.

You do not have to put up your actually blind. Slam some posts in the ground similar to a yield sign about 2'x 2'. Wrap that in camo cloth. day of the hunt set your blind up right beside it. Antelope don't carry tape measure's so you will be good to go, it's the technique not the size....hey where we going with this:p