Setting Peep: Where to position front sight

wayoh22

WKR
Hey all - I've searched around for an answer and have watched a few videos but no luck in getting a straightforward answer. When you are setting your peep, where should your front sight be positioned yardage-wise when using a slider?

I understand for long distance shooting it makes sense to set your peep from 40-60yds to achieve a better head position but if you were to setup a new bow that isn't sighted in, where would you set the front sight to to set your peep?

bsnedeker

WKR
I don't know of its correct, but I set it in the middle of my max yardage and 20, so for me that's about 50 yards.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

OP
wayoh22

wayoh22

WKR
I don't know of its correct, but I set it in the middle of my max yardage and 20, so for me that's about 50 yards.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
Yeah I get that. But I'm curious for how it'd be done on a brand new bow that's not sighted in.

OP
wayoh22

wayoh22

WKR
I don't set my peep til my bow is sighted in.

I might not have a tape worked out exactly, but have marks to roughly know where I am to at least 60 yards. Then set peep middle of the range I expect to shoot it in.

New bow will have several hundred shots before I set a peep in it.
Ok that makes some more sense. I guess I'm under the presumption that for a fixed pin sight, you set the peep to fit the sight housing because it's not going to move necessarily.

For a slider sight, I'm not sure what the protocol would be since you could potentially be lining up at a sight that's on the bottom end.

Or maybe I'm thinking about this the wrong way.

Ok that makes some more sense. I guess I'm under the presumption that for a fixed pin sight, you set the peep to fit the sight housing because it's not going to move necessarily.

For a slider sight, I'm not sure what the protocol would be since you could potentially be lining up at a sight that's on the bottom end.

Depends on if you center your pin, or center your housing with a fixed pin. Hunting sight you generally use a large peep, so likely going to center your housing, but depends on how long you been shooting too. Old school guys just had pins. 2-3 years ago the Master Men's Open @ the Lancaster Classic was won by a man who just had a brass pin, no scope, no housing, just centered that brass pin in his peep. Your eye will normally center the pin in the peep, can be why you struggle to shoot the top and bottom of your pin stack as well as you do the center, just something to consider.

I think it's good for someone to spend some time shooting without a peep. Get comfortable with your anchor and draw length. Then set your peep in the exact right spot. Different ATA bows, brace height, cam size all play into string angle and the fit. With a new bow I like to tweak things a bit, change loop length, get it to where it feels just right, then I'll put a peep in.

406unltd

WKR
I shoot a slider but I set mine to where I’m slightly crunched at 40-50. Your distance will most likely vary from that. Typically I’ll tie it in loose when getting a new sight tape figured to keep it from flinging out. Then rough in my pin to where it hits at that distance, while adjusting the peep up or down for that desired feel of being slightly crunched. Once I find the spot where my peep and sight relationship gives me my desired poa/poi and full draw feel, then I mark it and serve it permanent.

bow-hunt

FNG
Hey all - I've searched around for an answer and have watched a few videos but no luck in getting a straightforward answer. When you are setting your peep, where should your front sight be positioned yardage-wise when using a slider?

I understand for long distance shooting it makes sense to set your peep from 40-60yds to achieve a better head position but if you were to setup a new bow that isn't sighted in, where would you set the front sight to to set your peep?

When I'm setting up a new bow, I make sure the bow is set to specs. Then paper tune. After I have it shooting perfectly, them I add my sight. I adjust the pins horizontally so the pins are above the arrow. Then I set the vertical adjustment in the middle. At that point, I install the peep. You should be able to close your eyes, draw back, anchor, open your eyes, and your sight should've centered in your peep. If it's not, adjust the peep until the sight is centered in the peep. Then you can go out and fine tune the sight. That's my process.

Older post but relevant to my question.
If shooting to 110 let’s say with a 4 pin mbg pro set for 20/30/40/50.
The fifty is obviously down towards the bubble and is my floater.
Were your you set sight for you peep tie in?

mod-it

FNG
Older post but relevant to my question.
If shooting to 110 let’s say with a 4 pin mbg pro set for 20/30/40/50.
The fifty is obviously down towards the bubble and is my floater.
Were your you set sight for you peep tie in?

I set peep height a bit differently.
I set peep height at 30 yards (except I use 20 for indoor winter league setup) and adjust the peep up/down until I'm getting the best pin float.
I set the target at chest height at 30 yards and then draw, anchor, and hold the pin on a dot and see how pin float looks. Then I'll let down, adjust the peep a bit up or down and then draw and hold again. I do this several times until the peep float is the best I can get it. You'd be surprised how much a small peep adjustment can effect your float.
I find this works much better for me rather than only worrying about setting the peep so my scope is perfectly centered when I draw and anchor with my eyes closed at some specific distance.

A high majority of hunting shots and 3d shots are between 20-40, so 30 is best for me. I use 30 yards even if the bow is dedicated to 3d shooting. I have no trouble shooting out to 100 when setting the peep height this way, I just adjust my anchor a bit to accomodate. As long as anchor is adjusted the same way every shot, groups and consistency will be there.

Last edited:

dkime

WKR
I set peep height a bit differently.
I set peep height at 30 yards (except I use 20 for indoor winter league setup) and adjust the peep up/down until I'm getting the best pin float. You'd be amazed how much peep height effects pin float.
I set the target at chest height at 30 yards and then draw, anchor, and hold the pin on a dot and see how pin float looks. Then I'll let down, adjust the peep a bit up or down and then draw and hold again. I do this several times until the peep float is the best I can get it. You'd be surprised how much a small peep adjustment can effect your float.
I find this works much better for me rather than only worrying about setting the peep so my scope is perfectly centered when I draw and anchor with my eyes closed at some specific distance.

A high majority of hunting shots and 3d shots are between 20-40, so 30 is best for me. I use 30 yards even if the bow is dedicated to 3d shooting. I have no trouble shooting out to 100 when setting the peep height this way, I just adjust my anchor a bit to accomodate. As long as anchor is adjusted the same way every shot, groups and consistency will be there.

This is very practical and sound advice^^^

From my experience a guy needs to really do some reflection on what his typical hunting shot distance is going to be. Peep height is going to have a dramatic impact on your ability to achieve the next level of accuracy most guys never achieve.

Theres a lot of talk these days about folks setting peep height for an outdoor/hunting rig based on 40-60yds shots and IMHO that’s a spill over from some sound bites that come from high level outdoor guys based on specific games that have say a 50yd average. I can only speak for myself here but over the years my peep height (measured at full draw, setting at brace is entirely worthless) does not vary more than 1/16” and that feels like a mile to me.

Your face geometry is your face geometry and manipulating your peep height to accommodate extreme distance is a trash idea. Can you make it work? Sure can it all depends on what folks deem to be acceptable in terms of accuracy wise.

Back into the darkness….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk is

dtrkyman

WKR
Sight in at 30 yards with no peep, install peep and adjust until you are back on at 30.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I try to keep my arrow speeds consistently between 280-290fps regardless what bow I use. So when I put my sight on a different bow I make sure my housing is set so my 40 and 50 pins (7 pin sight) are spot on vertically by adjusting the housing, and then have someone mark my string at full draw and anchor where the peep should be to match that. The rest of the pins will already be on or very close, but any adjustments would be individual pins at that point.......the housing will remain the same.

nphunter

WKR
I put my bow on a draw board and measure between the center of the peep and center of the arrow. When I put a new peep on or get a new bow I set my peep height to that exact measurement and when I draw back to anchor with my eyes closed and open my eyes I’m looking perfectly though the peep.

After that I put the sight on and figure adjust it accordingly. I also use the same sight in different bows so it’s normally very close when swapping it around that way.

I center and set it up with my slider all the way up shooting my fixed pins since I shoot a 5 pin slider. Most of my hunting shots are taken without sliding my sight so I prefer to have it set that way. When shooting long range I just make sure to keep the peep centered on the housing.