Selling shed antlers

Found some time this spring to go out shed hunting. I had some success finding 5-6 muley sheds in pretty good shape. I also found some that weren’t too old that had been chewed up and 4 elk sheds that are real old (cracking and flacking). I have no use for these ones, is it worth carrying sheds in crappy condition out of the woods?

cgasner1

WKR
Lawn art as far as selling the then probably not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dtrkyman

WKR
I think chalk white get a couple bucks a pound? Browns bring some cash, especially Elk. 15 bucks a pound I think it was last year anyway. So even a old chalk could be a 20$ bill laying there.

Mule deer sheds bring far less, even less than whitetail. I sold a pile of whitetail sheds last year to the tune of 2100$

I use the sheds I find and buy some occasionally... The last ones I bought I think I gave 2$ a horn when I was at a show in western Mo. Medium sized whitetails. (I mostly use whitetails and mulies. Elk is a little big depending on the size of the sheds a smaller one will work great but a big one not so well--takes an awful big knife. Fresh ones look the best for my purposes.) I use them to repurpose into handles for stone knives (pics attached).

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1639582751318.jpg
    FB_IMG_1639582751318.jpg
    464.6 KB · Views: 93
  • FB_IMG_1639582769454.jpg
    FB_IMG_1639582769454.jpg
    486.4 KB · Views: 92
  • PXL_20210905_162953401.jpg
    PXL_20210905_162953401.jpg
    488.8 KB · Views: 90
  • FB_IMG_1639582757318.jpg
    FB_IMG_1639582757318.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 89
  • FB_IMG_1639582793343.jpg
    FB_IMG_1639582793343.jpg
    539.8 KB · Views: 90
  • PXL_20220213_214425576~2.jpg
    PXL_20220213_214425576~2.jpg
    592.8 KB · Views: 90

Like2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Found some time this spring to go out shed hunting. I had some success finding 5-6 muley sheds in pretty good shape. I also found some that weren’t too old that had been chewed up and 4 elk sheds that are real old (cracking and flacking). I have no use for these ones, is it worth carrying sheds in crappy condition out of the woods?
I take every shed I can find out with me. I know my friend just sold some brown mule deer and elk sheds for $18 a pound if I remember right.

I use the sheds I find and buy some occasionally... The last ones I bought I think I gave 2$ a horn when I was at a show in western Mo. Medium sized whitetails. (I mostly use whitetails and mulies. Elk is a little big depending on the size of the sheds a smaller one will work great but a big one not so well--takes an awful big knife. Fresh ones look the best for my purposes.) I use them to repurpose into handles for stone knives (pics attached).
I am a knife enthusiast/Rockhound and have made knives out of files with antler handles but your stone knives are damn impressive: blade, handle and the fit. Beautifully done SpragueJoe.

I am a knife enthusiast/Rockhound and have made knives out of files with antler handles but your stone knives are damn impressive: blade, handle and the fit. Beautifully done SpragueJoe.
Much appreciated man I try really hard to make sure they flow right and feel right in the hand. I thoroughly love doing it. Wish I had more time to put towards it! I post my stuff on Facebook under the name Little Osage Studio Lithics if you happen to be on there any. I might list some in the classified section here--if I get caught up!! I have a pile of blades done and a bunch of handles in the works. Just have enough going on it's hard to get time in the shop! (Same problem everyone has!!)
Thanks again for the comment!!!

You sir are an artist, wish I had some extra coin laying around to drop on one of those beauties, about what do they cost?

You sir are an artist, wish I had some extra coin laying around to drop on one of those beauties, about what do they cost?

Thanks my friend!!! They run anywhere from 100 to 500 depending on what it is. Also make some small ones and they're 65 to 90. If you're on Facebook you can check out my page Little Osage Studio Lithics. I post my work there. Thanks again!! Really appreciate the feedback!

Elkhntr82

FNG
Those are good looking.

CCooper

WKR
Beautiful knives, please post in the classifieds here when some are available. I would love to have one and don’t use Facebook.