Seeking Wyoming area 83 info

mod7rem

FNG
My group got very lucky this year and drew random draw NR tags for Area 83.

I’m doing some planning and would appreciate any info on this area that anyone is willing to share. We generally like to park the truck and head out on foot for the day.
So far I’m going to apply for permission slips on the Absaroka Front management area.
Any suggestions on where to stay in area 83? We won’t be bringing camping gear so will be looking to rent a hotel or cabin. Any info is appreciated, thanks.

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
Plenty of hotels and houses you can rent in Thermopolis and Worland.

Like most antelope units with plenty of public land I would not recommend spending a day on foot in this unit. Too many antelope to look over and too much country to cover. Walking around is just wasting time.

bdan68

WKR
I have stayed in the cabins at Eagle RV Park in Thermopolis a few times and I would again. Not the most deluxe accommodations but the price is reasonable and we were only there at night to sleep. The A/C worked very good!

OP
M

mod7rem

FNG
Plenty of hotels and houses you can rent in Thermopolis and Worland.

Like most antelope units with plenty of public land I would not recommend spending a day on foot in this unit. Too many antelope to look over and too much country to cover. Walking around is just wasting time.
Ok that’s a great point on public access. I’m used to hunting an area with poor access so hiking is required. Thanks.

I’ll look into places to rent in Thermopolis and Worland. Thanks again.

OP
M

mod7rem

FNG
I have stayed in the cabins at Eagle RV Park in Thermopolis a few times and I would again. Not the most deluxe accommodations but the price is reasonable and we were only there at night to sleep. The A/C worked very good!
Ok thanks, I will check out Eagle RV Park as well. Thanks.

Mojave

WKR
We used to stay at the Safari Days Inn, but which is a nice place to eat, but a shitty-ok place to sleep.

Last time someone tried to break into our Uhaul, while we were sleeping. And I witnessed a 30 year old and a drunk 60 year old get into a fight in the parking lot.

The Teepee is a hell of a lot nicer place to soak your bones than the Star Plunge. Used to be the other way around the Star Plunge gets all the tourist riff-raff. The Teepee is mostly locals.

Wyoming is Taco Johns country, so that is where I would eat.

Wags

WKR
Last time someone tried to break into our Uhaul, while we were sleeping. And I witnessed a 30 year old and a drunk 60 year old get into a fight in the parking lot.

Reading this I got the vision of Bob Barker kicking Happy Gilmore's ass... I needed the laugh.

I found a tweeker poking around the back of my truck in Evanston last year. I used my key fob and set off the alarm.... he slipped and fell, bounced like a rubber ball and ran like he was being chased by a K9, it was hilarious.