Seeking some insight part 2 – Pack slip/fit

IanF.

Lil-Rokslider
Just completed my first backpack alpine trip, couple of days up to 7500' covering 10-12km with 2000' of elevation gain from the trailhead.

For over 2 months prior to this trip I've been doing 2-5km 2-3 times per week with the last month carrying 53lbs.

Carrying the same weight as my conditioning, however with actual gear it seemed like my pack/belt wanted to slide down my pants no matter how I tightened the waist belt and the pack I would feel on my butt. Never ran into this while conditioning. I did a repack putting my sleeping bag (lighter stuff) at the bottom, then had my heaviest stuff, topped off with more light to moderate stuff, same issue. Kind of perplexed on this one… my pack is not spring chicken, it’s an older Serratus, very good in it’s day and due for replacement next year

Thoughts or Insight?

Very best,

Ian

Stid2677

WKR
I think you may be asking too much from a pack not designed for hunting. I read a bunch of review on their packs and noted several mentioning poor belt fit.

I always train with my hunt stuff in my pack,, using sand bags, salt etc.. is just not the same.

When you upgrade your pack,, look into some of the hunting packs, they are made to haul triple digit loads instead of 60 to 70 that mountaineering packs are made to haul.

Beendare

WKR
Not sure what the issue is but I can tell you this.....

if your pack feels like its part of you on these hunts it sure makes it nice

Just completed my first backpack alpine trip, couple of days up to 7500' covering 10-12km with 2000' of elevation gain from the trailhead.

For over 2 months prior to this trip I've been doing 2-5km 2-3 times per week with the last month carrying 53lbs.

Carrying the same weight as my conditioning, however with actual gear it seemed like my pack/belt wanted to slide down my pants no matter how I tightened the waist belt and the pack I would feel on my butt. Never ran into this while conditioning. I did a repack putting my sleeping bag (lighter stuff) at the bottom, then had my heaviest stuff, topped off with more light to moderate stuff, same issue. Kind of perplexed on this one… my pack is not spring chicken, it’s an older Serratus, very good in it’s day and due for replacement next year

Thoughts or Insight?

Very best,

Ian

if the belt is staying tight, just continually riding down, your torso could be set too long. are you able to shrug the load up or twist your back and shoulders and get the weight off them entirely momentarily?

OP
IanF.

IanF.

Lil-Rokslider
The confusing part is all that changed was what was in the pack, I've been carrying the same weight for over a month and the pack was reasonably comfortable