Seek Outsides new U-Turn woodburning stove--saving weight in a flat top

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Here is Seek Outsides new release The U-Turn. It's a hybrid of cylinder & box stoves. comparable weight to cylinder designs but you can cook on top. If you're willing to wait a little longer to boil water, you can ditch your fuel stove, saving you more weight (did that just this fall on one my backcountry buck hunts.) The U-turn comes in a medium (23oz without pipe, pipe adds 1.5oz per foot) and a large (weighs 26 oz without pipe). I have their original XL. It comes in at 35oz, so 9oz heavier + 0.5 oz. heavier per foot of chimney. Hoping to try a U-Turn for you guys:

The U-Turn titanium tent stove is an ultralight version of our standard stoves that uses lighter weight titanium foil for the stove sides and back, plus a smaller diameter stovepipe and damper that is not interchangeable with our other stoves. If you desire a very lightweight stove that works great for cooking or melting snow, the U-Turn is probably right for you. U-Turn stoves maintain the ease of assembly and use of our box stoves, but cut significant weight (12 oz on a medium with 6 feet of pipe). Our U-Turn stoves compare favorably to cylinder stoves on the market from a weight perspective, while being much sturdier, easier to assemble, and easier to cook on due to the flat top.

Interested to see your review Robby. Looks like it has great potential. Very interested in ease of setup maybe compared to the lite outdoors cylinder stove which I own currently.

slick

WKR
Saw this a few days ago. Such a badass idea, best of both worlds, flat top & light weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
Took advantage of the black friday sale and bought a uturn and gunson tarp ....thanks rokslide !

brous8732

FNG
Looks awesome. I may have to give this a shot for camping/skiing in Colorado this winter.

wjm1776

FNG
I’m interested in this set up. Anyone have any additional impressions?

Alegault

Lil-Rokslider
I have one and used it on my elk hunt here in WA end of Oct, early Nov. Setup can be a little tricky the first couple times trying to get it to not fall apart on you about halfway through. Once you get the hang of it, it’s easy though.

super lightweight, but with that comes some fragility. I strapped the carry bag to the outside of my pack, as to not hurt/bend any of the components. This worked well for me.

Burns hot and fast. Maybe 40 mins max unattended. Also need to take care to process your wood to be small enough to fit.

All of that said, it helped us stay dry and take the chill off in the mornings and evenings. Coming out of the tent, coffee and breakfast done and with the 80 degree stove air on your skin really made all the difference. Pack in and setup were easy. SO customer service was awesome getting me the unit in time for my hunt too.