Seek Outside Unaweep 6300 - Compressibility

Hi Rokslide,

1. Does anybody with a Goshawk 6300 or Unaweep 6300 have difficulties with compressibility of the main bag for day hunts?

2. Do I need extra gatekeeper straps beyond what comes with the order to achieve this?

3. Will I regret having such a big bag for this purpose?

I am about to hit purchase during black friday sale on a unaweep 6300 + Merlin.

My plan is to keep all my day hunting gear in Merlin and suck the unaweep main bag as tight and compressed to the frame as possible except for hauling meat out.

I need a big main bag for the style of backpacking and backpack hunting I do. This is more a concern for the day hunts.

Thank in Advance!!

sndmn11

WKR
I think both those packs come with three straps per side. You could surely get by with those. I would add more straps, if not just as insurance for losing some. My preference is to use 2 or 3 per side, and then 2 or three on each side of my talon/Merlin to the face loops rather than the frame loops.

OP
merthussein
I think both those packs come with three straps per side. You could surely get by with those. I would add more straps, if not just as insurance for losing some. My preference is to use 2 or 3 per side, and then 2 or three on each side of my talon/Merlin to the face loops rather than the frame loops.

Thanks @sndmn11 . I know you previously ran the Saker. When you were dayhuntng, did you ever find it cumbersome and frustrating to have that sized bag on you or didn't compress away as nicely as you would like?

Or was it a non-issue and something you didn't have to think about?

I have the Lanner, and I put two extra straps at the bottom when I have a small load. I suck them up pretty tight so that everything doesn’t end up wadded up in the bottom of the bag.

I’d suggest getting a couple extra straps for tying down bulky things, meat, in case of loss, etc.

Rokwiia

WKR
I have a Unaweep 6,300 and a Revolution Fortress 6,300. Both roll down into nothing and can easily be used as a day bag. You will never regret getting it.

Moreover, at a later day, you could buy a blemish or sale Gila bag that could be swapped back and forth with the Unaweep.

But to answer your main question....you can use the Unaweep 6,300 equally well as a day pack or a multi-day hauler.

I have the unaweep 6300 and it folds down to basically nothing. Merlin would only be needed for intergraded frame I would suspect. I love the bag for day trips my only complaint is the unaweep gets hot on the back. If I could go back I would get the integrated and use the Merlin for day hunts just to stop back from being soaked in sweat.

OP
merthussein
Thanks all! That's been incredibly helpful I appreciate all the responses.

OP
merthussein
Aaaand order placed!! I had to change my plan slightly by switching from Unaweep + Merlin -> Kenai in order to be under threshold and not get hit by super high customs import duty here in Australia but either way I cannot wait.

Not sure what I'm gonna do with all this extra free time I have now not thinking about pack purchases 😁