Season -2022

I just got back from the Flat Tops for muzzle and didn't see any elk or sign ~ 10K. There were about 15 guys archery hunting since the opener and they didn't see a thing. I did have an interesting encounter with a mtn. lion before dark. It was 65-70 degrees during the day and low 30s at night and very dry.
I was up there backpacking with my kids a couple weeks ago and the only sign we saw was bear. No elk sign at all.

seww

WKR
It's been an interesting season for me here in Idaho.
Seen plenty of elk, have had a cow at 20 yards, but hidden behind a bush. Saw a small herd of cows but couldn't get close enough before they bolted.
Did a 11.5 mile loop on Saturday, saw a cow at 60 yards but couldn't get closer. I feel like I should have waited on her instead, lesson learned.
A while after, I saw a bedded spike at 80 yards across this little valley. He spotted me first so I was worried from the beginning. Tried my cow calls to get him closer, but he would not leave his area. He walked around and around, barked a few times and kicked his front leg. After an hour of this I made a move to try and get to him, but he bolted.
Some miles after this, I heard a bugle and he answered on my poor cow call and did come closer. I heard him breathe in the timber but never saw him before the wind swirled and scared him off. Might be luck, this was at least 6 miles in and would have been a nightmare to pack out solo...

Taking Friday off for one last try before archery season is closed.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Back in Wisconsin for the last week. Getting meat cut up, clothes washed, gear put away, and caught up around the work and house world. First snow of the day today, started snowing about 15 minutes ago, accumulation expected. Bucks are starting to show up on the game cams, so headed for first set of the year right now. Mountain updates to come this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Choupique

WKR
About to head into Colorado 65 to freeze my nuts off and tote my rifle around in the snowy pumpkin patch.

Ehunter

FNG
I turn 66 this year. Gee that sounds bad and old. I didn't draw a tag but my hunting buddy,s family drew 2 cow tags I will be helping next year I will be back to bowhunting again.

IMG_2204.JPG

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Started the '23 thread, here we go!