Seam sealing !

Shrek

WKR
Seam sealing sucks ! At 6'4" , a little clumsy, and a little ADD , seam sealing is not my forte' ! Next time I buy a new tent I'm going to find an artsy painter type chick for a FWB relationship :)...

Attachments

• IMG_0094.jpg
    IMG_0094.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:

dotman

WKR
Ahh don't feel too bad, when it drys you barely notice your lack of artistic skills.

If I could do it again I would have paid the price from Seek Outside to have them do it. By the time I bought all the sealant and some brushes it would have only been another $40 or so.

dotman

WKR
If I could do it again I would have paid the price from Seek Outside to have them do it. By the time I bought all the sealant and some brushes it would have only been another $40 or so.

What did you buy?? Cost me less then $10.

Zoo Keeper

Lil-Rokslider
While I was doing it, I couldn't help but think "this looks like I allowed a 4 year old do it" but after it dried, I barely noticed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What did you buy?? Cost me less then $10.

I bought sil-net. My Redcliffe came with 1 tube but it took another three to actually do it and I could have used another half tube. I had used Mcnetts seam-grip a lot through the years and I had so much confidence in there products it was what I wanted to use. In hind sight I would have used silicone, but I guarantee it's not near as good as the Sil-net.

dotman

WKR
Next time just get clear silicone and mineral spirits from Home Depot, same thing in the end. This is what Kifaru sends with their shelters and all I have ever used, haven't had a single issue with it leaking so can't see how sil-net works better if they both keep the rain out.

Kifaru has a really good video on it.

Next time just get clear silicone and mineral spirits from Home Depot, same thing in the end.

Like I said hind sight. I'll say this from years of using the Seam-grip (which is almost the same as Sil-net) and even more years of using Silicone in the Auto and construction industry that Silicone is not as good.

I'd still use Silicone if I did it again.

Moellermd

FNG
While I was doing it, I couldn't help but think "this looks like I allowed a 4 year old do it" but after it dried, I barely noticed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was also my experience, and after two days of rain no leaks

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
One of my hated jobs also. Glad everyone enjoys it as much as I do

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ya seam sealing sucks sweaty donkey balls. I just use silicone and mineral spirits too. Every time I tell myself I'll take the time to make pretty and every time I say screw it the elk won't care.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
My problem now is the 20% chance of scattered showers has turned into a continuous downpour since the no leaks post ! I also found a small leak that will need a touch up.

Hunter6

WKR
So after reading a lot I have noticed some sources tell you to seal the inside (flap side) of the seam and some suggest the outside of the seam. So which is it.

***Never mind found an old thread ****

Last edited:

ianpadron

WKR
So after reading a lot I have noticed some sources tell you to seal the inside (flap side) of the seam and some suggest the outside of the seam. So which is it.

***Never mind found an old thread ****
Just make sure that if you seal the inside of the tent, you'll likely need to seal the outside as well.

I received a tent that was sealed from the inside and nearly all the sealant was bubbling/flaking due to water getting into the seam from the outside before the sealant could cure. If you have to do one, seal the outside. If you never want to second guess your shelter in the gnarliest storms...do both

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

C Bow

WKR
I hope this will not sound stupid but I know it will but why would a company sell a tarp or tent that leaked and had to be seam sealed? The Hilleberg Tent I bought don't leak so they must have already sealed it