Sealing SG load cell dry bag

jhm2023

WKR
I finally added a load cell dry bag to my Stone Glacier pack setup and realized it leaks blood pretty good on my last hunt. I felt it mitigated some of the blood transfer to the rest of my gear but not completely. Anyone have experience sealing the seams on theirs? It's a fairly large seam but I figure silicone or seam grip or something similar might work.

OP
jhm2023

jhm2023

WKR
I would get a different meat bag if you want it to be water/blood proof. SG designed that bag to allow blood to drain since sheep hunts typically have long pack outs.

I guess I don't see the point in a dry bag that is supposed to drain/leak blood when a regular game bag by itself will do that without additional weight and cost. It doesn't drain enough to lose weight for a long pack out and if that was the intent, it's pointless as the blood absorbs into your hip belt and clothing. It leaks just enough to negate the desired effect of keeping blood off your shirt, pants and pack. I like the overall shape and design of the bag and the seams are heavy duty, they just need to be sealed IMO.

I guess I don't see the point in a dry bag that is supposed to drain/leak blood when a regular game bag by itself will do that without additional weight and cost. It doesn't drain enough to lose weight for a long pack out and if that was the intent, it's pointless as the blood absorbs into your hip belt and clothing. It leaks just enough to negate the desired effect of keeping blood off your shirt, pants and pack. I like the overall shape and design of the bag and the seams are heavy duty, they just need to be sealed IMO.

I hear ya. They probably should call it a semi-dry bag. I have one, but I’ve only packed meat out in it once, I just couldn’t deal with blood leaking down the back of my legs. I still use mine, but only for packing the hides/capes out, which it works pretty good for and I like the way that it keeps its shape and fits perfectly in the load sling. I’ve never had really good luck with sealing up “dry bags”, that needed to be seam sealed to really be called dry bags. Outdoor Research makes a style of real dry bags that are very similar in shape to the SG load cell, and are very heavy duty, yet pretty light weight as well, you might wanna give them a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love it for it's shape. However, It's definitely not a dry bag. As far as seam sealing goes. Do just like tents. Clear silicone thinned with some mineral spirits. Thinned enough to use a small paintbrush to coat the seams.

Mike 338

WKR
Thanks for the heads up on the SG bags. I don't need blood all over the clothes I'll be wearing for days. I kind'a don't care about blood on the pack.