Scouting for elk routes

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
So, this last fall I went elk hunting in a totally new area. I had scouted several areas and during the season we saw lots of elk, but always on the wrong side of the fence.

Talking to locals and other hunters, elk in this unit move around a lot. It’s a small unit with a good amount of pressure, so the elk like to bounce around and stay low in the private land, but they do cross into the public.

For this year I want to find a good trail or bedding area and just sit. Miles of hiking was fun and all, but it just wasn’t productive. The elk all formed up in a herd of 100+ elk, and if I know how they move I’ll know where to be.

Anyway, as an example I’ve attached a screenshot. I know elk will be moving through this area, and I want to find their trail. I’ll have a few scouting trips, and I hope to put up cameras, but I want to narrow down where I should be looking for trails. Based on the attached satellite/topi map, where would you start looking for a major elk highway or bedding area?

Attachments

• 84325CEA-99FD-462D-A503-51C6BA2B2666.jpeg
    84325CEA-99FD-462D-A503-51C6BA2B2666.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 120

Overdrive

WKR
I think you'll find that Elk don't trail daily like Whitetail. They may travel an area often but not the same trail everyday. When there's high pressure there's no telling which way they'll go daily. For me sitting trails is a waste of time unless you've glassed up or seen the Elk in an evening or morning using a ridge, then there's a higher probability that they'll use that ridge again that day, if they don't get pressured by hunters or a predator. Too many variables for me to commit sitting a trail.

Bedding area's look for North slopes or thick timbered ridges where they have good views and easy escape from danger.

Wrench

WKR
Find the preferred food.

Stick your finger in the air and find the downwind side of the food.

Expect elk to show up from downwind.....but don't expect them to use the same route daily.

The same can be said for the bedding areas....with the caveat that elk will use thermal advantages to travel to their bedding areas.....the wind WILL change direction.

OP
M

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies. I am not expecting the same daily routes, more like the general route that they use on their two-week long circuit of the hunting unit.

I want to put out trail cameras around the unit and see if I can figure out their rhythm, and know roughly when and where I can expect them to be moving. I was hoping I could just locate a game trail, but if they don’t use regular trails it won’t be that simple.

OP
M

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
I definitely plan to get boots on the ground. But I have a lot of area to cover and limited time to cover it. Anything that can help me be efficient when I’m in the field will help a lot.

BarCO

Lil-Rokslider
They do have escape trails I have found, or directions, not necessarily a trail.

mrolen

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you’re looking for a natural funnel. That’s what I would start looking for e scouting to narrow it down then boots on the ground confirming it by seeing tracks then parking your butt in a good spot and waiting.

OP
M

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you’re looking for a natural funnel. That’s what I would start looking for e scouting to narrow it down then boots on the ground confirming it by seeing tracks then parking your butt in a good spot and waiting.
Yes, exactly! But what features indicate a funnel? Cover? Topography? A combination?

mrolen

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, exactly! But what features indicate a funnel? Cover? Topography? A combination?
Going to depend on the area but think path of least resistance. Look for cliffs rivers fences roads. Also find where the easy access pressure is coming from other hunters and go else where.

cnelk

WKR
I’ve scouted elk areas between seasons - especially when there’s some snow.
I’ve found that elk will use the same bedding areas in Oct as they do in Sept.
Much easier to see tracks and travel direction when there’s some snow.
Not sure if that’s a practical way for you but I’ve sure found it helpful

So, this last fall I went elk hunting in a totally new area. I had scouted several areas and during the season we saw lots of elk, but always on the wrong side of the fence.

Talking to locals and other hunters, elk in this unit move around a lot. It’s a small unit with a good amount of pressure, so the elk like to bounce around and stay low in the private land, but they do cross into the public.

For this year I want to find a good trail or bedding area and just sit. Miles of hiking was fun and all, but it just wasn’t productive. The elk all formed up in a herd of 100+ elk, and if I know how they move I’ll know where to be.

Anyway, as an example I’ve attached a screenshot. I know elk will be moving through this area, and I want to find their trail. I’ll have a few scouting trips, and I hope to put up cameras, but I want to narrow down where I should be looking for trails. Based on the attached satellite/topi map, where would you start looking for a major elk highway or bedding area?

That's your Job.

Jimss

WKR
An elk's worse nightmare is humans! If you've been around elk much you know that they don't hang out near humans. on public land! Hunting pressure is the key! Elk will wander through and spend time in the areas with the least amount of hunting pressure. These are often hidden from view of roads, trails, etc. and vantage points.

Water, feed, and cover would be 2nd on my list of considerations. If there is only 1 water source it makes things simple. A lot depends on where that water source is located....public or private. Where are the vittles! Elk may spend time where there is water and feed at night and wander to secure bedding locations before daylight.

Next is time of year and season dates? Elk may spend time in totally different areas during summer vs rut vs winter. Bulls are often in different areas at different times of the year. Will snow, heat, rain, and wind alter where they spend time during the season?

There are so many variables! It's pretty tough to look at a topo and predict anything without knowing a bunch of specifics. That's where scouting and experience during the hunting season comes into play. It may take several years to figure out.

OP
M

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
There are so many variables! It's pretty tough to look at a topo and predict anything without knowing a bunch of specifics. That's where scouting and experience during the hunting season comes into play. It may take several years to figure out.
It’s true. I knew when I started that harvesting an elk will likely be a multi-year journey. I’m just hoping to find any scraps that will help speed my learning. Thanks for your tips!