Scouting a new area this year?

cnelk

WKR
For those that are hunting a new elk area this year, what’s your plan to scout it?

Are you going to put boots on the ground?

Escouting only?

If you’re going to make a trip and hike, when are you planning on going?

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Depends on if I draw or not. But I will do both (escout/boots). Probably late July or August. Honestly, probably to learn access points, trails, and roads more than looking for critters.

E-scouting only. With young kids, I can’t get away for two trips in a year. We’ve hunted a part of this unit in 2020 and found elk so we have a plan A and B already. Just need to build plans C-Z because this will have a lot more pressure than where we’ve hunted the previous two years.

vladkgb

FNG
Unit I drew is 6 hours away from me in NV. I did a bunch of e scouting to get a general idea of where I want to hunt. I marked access points, water, possible camp spots, created hiking and driving routes, and marked possible glassing areas. I marked all of these with grey icons, meaning I haven't seen them in real life. I plan to go boots on the ground in July and check as many of these points as I could and turn the points to green, meaning I verified them in real life. I also take notes on the points in my mapping app for future reference.

I'll use the real life data to fine tune my plan for the actual season. I create hunting plans A, b, c etc.. which tells me where to camp, where to begin hiking, the route to take, and points of interests to check etc.

I'm not sure if I should spend much time trying to glass for elk while I'm scouting. I'm thinking of just doing quick scans and looking for sign and marking those as points of interest.

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
Always hunt new areas typically when traveling out of state. New country is fun and rewarding with its challenges and unexpected miles of downfall you didnt see on google earth.

Escouting only, and put together plans A-D. Boots on the ground with bow in hand, and run till I find them.

Marble

WKR
I go in August. I first get the lay of the land. Tour the town/area and learn the basics. Then search glassing spots. Boots on the ground if needed after that.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
August and September looking for 5 shed bulls. Two over 370 in otc units. Boots on the ground will be calling for friends and looking covering ground on further days on my own searching and wolf hunting. My hunt will be on 10/10 🤙

TheHammer

WKR
E scout. Rely on experience to make decisions on what to look for. Develop a written game plan of areas to check out. And execute upon arrival. September is coming quick!

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
I'm hunting a new area this year that's 4-5 hours away.

Luckily I have a buddy that hunted it a couple years ago and he shared intel with me. Ive been reviewing the info on GE and I'll make a trip in early Aug to get familiar.

Little of both here too. Talking with friends and fellow WKRs about the unit, and planning a short trip for June, and perhaps a weekend in July (won't give up deer scouting close to home to scout summer elk 6 hours away for a November hunt!)

1jeds

FNG
I've been e-scouting and have narrowed down to a handful of areas marked with waypoints, etc. I'll continue to do that, but plan on putting puts on the ground 1-2 weekends in August if possible (a minimum of 1 weekend). The area is ~5 hours from me, this will be the first year I am going DIY solo so I want to go in as prepared as possible.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I love hunting new areas, every day is a new adventure. But most any scouting I do is just to find spots where I'd like to setup my base camp, and then look over the general area as far as terrain, altitude, overall access, etc. I'll do that in July/Aug. After all that, I'll find the elk when I'm there with my bow in my hand. This year I'll be doing all this, but it will be for a buddy's hunt so no bow in my hand......just my bugle tube. I don't think I've ever even set foot in this unit before, so should be a good time.

TaperPin

WKR
I’d ask the locals. In every big area there are many people that already know which small areas are known to be better than others. E scout until the cows come home, but it won’t give you as much information as a good local contact. Facebook groups are famous for locals giving out way too much information. Every town has people in the know - game wardens, biologists, forest service rangers, outfitters, guides, hunting nuts at sporting goods stores, gunsmiths, etc.

The hard part is finding the person, but some polite conversations with the right people and a few franklins can often buy the information from otherwise tight lipped sources. I know a guy who went with his son in an elk area new to them - after two days of zero elk and zero elk sign where they thought they should be, he got ahold of an outfitter that hunts the area to buy some information - a Venmo transaction from the cab of the pickup and he lined them out on the local elk patterns. They drove to the suggested area and later that day Bang Bang.8A02C416-4722-4458-AFF2-AA338E4EE56C.jpeg

Gerbdog

WKR
I'm hunting a unit ive hunted a few times before.... that said... there's a hard to reach valley i want to get into this summer to go look for sign (i know theyre in there, i actually just wanna find the best access in and out). I'll go in July .... June is always super wet and muddy in that part of the world.

TaperPin

WKR
The magic words when asking for advice is simply, “Hi, I’m Joe Blow and Little Timmy at the gun store said you really know the local elk and I should touch base with you. I’m really excited about hunting area 999, but don’t know where to start - what guidance and direction would you give me?” Then you shut up, even if there is a long pause - don’t break the silence and let him process what you just asked. Don’t talk about yourself unless asked, don’t tell them all about your new gun or the elk you killed last year, just listen and maybe ask clarifying questions, but don’t interrupt. Most people screw it up, so let me repeat - don’t talk about yourself, just listen. When they are done, always ask if there is someone they would suggest you talk to. When they give you a name, rinse and repeat.

Every young person should learn this early on and it will pay dividends with hobbies, careers, schools, politics, churches, city departments, social groups, families, etc. It’s human nature to want to help someone who is genuinely excited about something we are interested in. . . . and listen, don’t talk about yourself unless asked.

Will be in a new elk hunting unit helping a friend but have spent time in the country fishing. He was there as soon as he found out he drew and scouted while he bear hunted, said there was elk everywhere. We will be back later in the summer to scout and fish. It's a 17 hour drive but you do what you gotta do. Good tips @TaperPin on talking to people. In my experience, if you come across a local out doing their thing and stop to talk they are usually very chatty and will spill the beans.

Trigger warning: if you're from the east and you are headed to a new unit and you can't figure out how to get in a scouting trip (or two!) I don't think your odds of figuring out how to kill one are very good. Might make more sense to stay home and watch football.

Gerbdog

WKR
Will be in a new elk hunting unit helping a friend but have spent time in the country fishing. He was there as soon as he found out he drew and scouted while he bear hunted, said there was elk everywhere. We will be back later in the summer to scout and fish. It's a 17 hour drive but you do what you gotta do. Good tips @TaperPin on talking to people. In my experience, if you come across a local out doing their thing and stop to talk they are usually very chatty and will spill the beans.
Yup, i got out late last year, couple in the area were out cruising their 4-wheeler and stopped to chat with me, half hour later i was into bugling elk after they showed me a spot with a small quarter mile hike from the road - actually biggest bull i called in all last year.