Scope suggestions for .300wmag

brb230

FNG
Hey guys. I’ve been creeping around in rockslide for quite a while but never made a profile until now so if this is in the wrong sub forum please direct me to the proper place. I’m a whitetail hunter in Michigan so I have very little experience in this realm. I got a browning x bolt 300 win mag for a do everything rifle (any western hunt to shooting black bears here at home) and im now looking into scopes. I’ve only ever used leupolds on the rifles I own which only consists of a 450 and a .223. They have done everything I want them to. But I’m looking to get something really nice for this .300 and everything I see on here is bashing leupold for being unreliable. When I take this rifle out it’s most likely going to be a special trip since I don’t get out of state much and I can’t afford my gear to let me down. I really like the cds on my vx freedom. Are there any reliable cds systems out there?

OP
brb230

brb230

FNG
Nightforce, trijicon, swfa are gonna be the 3 most recomended scopes on here. If you are looking to treat yourself go nightforce or trijicon...
Do they make a custom dial system like leupold?

Michael54

WKR
That cds system is great if you are using the exact same bullet for everything and hunting in the same place at all times. If you plan on shooting different bullet weights or even brands or different altitudes it may not be what you really want. Its what turned me away when i was looking at it.

You can make your own “custom dial” with masking tape and a fine point sharpie.

The two common recommendations for reliable scopes are going to be SWFA if you are on a budget and Night Force if you are feeling spendy. Review the field reviews at the top of the forum and see why they are so recommended

I have a Zeiss V6 on my Browning XBolt long Range 300 win mag. I had Kenton Industry cut a turret for my ammo specs. Awesome setup! No issues with holding zero. Use it for my CO elk hunts.

My boys have Zeiss V4's for their 7 mm mags with Kenton turrets.

Gone4Days

WKR
Are you looking for a lightweight rig? what does your rifle weigh? What is max range you will be shooting at game? First or Second focal plane? Do you dial or hold over?

Can’t go wrong with a Trijicon Credo 2.5-15x42 and NF SHV 4-14x50.

Without knowing any other info on what your looking for, I would buy the SHV.

I have a lightweight Kimber 308 and a Christensen Arms FFT 6.5 prc and both wear a SHV 3-10 for hunting out here in the west.

Wapiti1

WKR
They don't, but if that is your speed, Kenton Industries and Custom Turret Systems make custom tapes that you wrap your turret with. Send them your scope specs, and load specs, and they print a tape. They are waterproof and work quite well.

But, I would tell you what others will. Just use the MOA or MIL dials as is. It's the same thing at the end of the day.

Jeremy

OP
brb230

brb230

FNG
Are you looking for a lightweight rig? what does your rifle weigh? What is max range you will be shooting at game? First or Second focal plane? Do you dial or hold over?

I have a lightweight Kimber 308 and a Christensen Arms FFT 6.5 prc and both wear a SHV 3-10 for hunting out here in the west.
All very good questions and to be honest I’m not sure.

All great questions and to be honest I don’t really have any answers. Whitetail stand hunting in Michigan is about as far as my experience goes. I’ve never cared about a heavy gun because my furthest stand location is a mile walk. The furthest I’ve ever killed game is 300 yards with my .223 and it was a groundhog lol. This is all new to me. I’m looking for simplicity but I’m not afraid to spend 1000 -1500 bucks on a scope because this will most likely be my only big game rifle. I’m most likely going to find the best factory 180 grain round for this gun, sight it in and call it a wrap.

Not sure what price points you are really wanting to hit, but when you say "real nice", automatically I am considering a look at the top shelf and 1000-1500 bucks won't quite get you there. In my opinion, do it once, and do it right or you will always look back at what you should have done in the first place.

I have not had any issues with my Mark 5 HD on my 300 win mag. Super clear glass and excellent at low light. I really like the zero stop lock and FFP reticle I chose. Can't say anything personally about their customer service either because I have not needed them.

Also Swarovski, Schmidtt and Bender, Leica, Zeiss, Husqemaw, Nightforce are the other big names and each have different pluses and minuses once you take a deeper dive into them.

Jlop_2

Lil-Rokslider
Just picked up a Trijicon credo 2.5-15x42 and it so far seems like an awesome scope with great glass.