Scope Recommendation for Kids

Scott-12

FNG
I've searched the topic and haven't found much other than kids rifle recommendations. I have a 9 and 11 year old. Need to pick a scope for a new Tikka .243. We already have a youth model Savage with a Vortex Crossfire II and really struggle with white out near dusk. I do love the Vortex since it has the simple vplex reticle but it nearly cost us last season.

Looking to spend around $200-250. I would really prefer a standard reticle like the vplex to keep things simple. Shots will be around 75 yards... 150 yards max.

On a side note, has anyone had experiences with Vortex customer service? Need to check into possible service options for the Crossfire II having white out.

adamm88

WKR
i have a crossfire 2 on a 30-30 lever action, it leaves alot to be desired....
My recommendation for im guressing cheapish scope that will get beat around, Sig Buckmaster(pretty good quality for $100), Vortex Diamond Back(Much Better quality than the crossfire 2), my number one recommendation would be Burris Fullfield, Iv put burris on 2-3 guns in the past year and no complaints.

I was brought up with leupold scopes but the current burris is just a clear as my 10-20 year old leupold entry level scopes.

CMP70306

WKR
Vortex CS is second to none, contact them and they will send a label out to get it shipped back for either repair or replacement.

Vortex gets a lot of hate here but their optics are generally good in the more expensive classes. For the $200 to $250 range I don’t really have any experience with their scopes but they should be good for a youth rifle on short range shots.

Generally the Diamondback, Strike Eagle and Viper lines would all have better glass than the Crossfire though I haven’t checked their prices lately.

Rjk300

FNG
I run the Leupold vx freedom or vx-2 in 3-9x40 on 4 rifles in 45/70 and 450 bm along with many others I hunt with. We never had one fail and plenty clear. The 2-7x33 is nice also!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

Scott-12

FNG
I've been looking hard at the Burris Fullfield. It seems well liked.

I would love to get the Diamondback if they had the VPlex. I will call their CS and ask some questions.

Will check out the vx freedom....Thanks guys.

BLJ

WKR
I’ll add that I’ve also had great success with an Athlon Argos 2-12 with the AHMC reticle.
It’s a duplex with a floating illuminated dot. They can often be found under $300. I would think @gr8fuldoug can help you with that.

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I'm just going to tell the kids we don't dial for windage. Should be good to go. I want them to have something they can use later not just now.

I told them when I put the red dots on that it was just a temporary thing and that they should expect to move to glass "when they are ready"...they both shrugged and said "OK".

SloppyJ

WKR
Credo 3x9 would be my pick. Right now we have red dots on all of his stuff but he will get a Tikka .223 this year for his birthday. He's been hell on some cans in the backyard with his BB gun and his Savage Rascal 22lr.

270quest

WKR
A used Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 would be ideal - but you will have to spend $350-400 - can find them on Ebay. The constant 4" eye relief is as good as any scope I have ever used. Nice clear bright images, and reliable set and forget scopes. Both my wifes 243 and my daughters 6 creed have them - its a shame they are no longer made.

KenLee

WKR
A used Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 would be ideal - but you will have to spend $350-400 - can find them on Ebay. The constant 4" eye relief is as good as any scope I have ever used. Nice clear bright images, and reliable set and forget scopes. Both my wifes 243 and my daughters 6 creed have them - its a shame they are no longer made.
I've paid $225 and $250 for them locally from folks that moved up to larger reticles. I agree that a large sale site like ebay will likely be higher.

seand

WKR
I’d go SWFA 6x for sure. There is absolutely no downside, and you simply won’t get a more bombproof scope for $200-250. The center of the reticle is the center, doesn’t matter if it’s a plex or mil reticle.

Kids are smart, won’t be long and you will be having them hold and dial anyways.

Then get a SWFA 10x side parallax on a 22lr and have them shoot some NRL22.