Scope for a 243 LR Rifle

Srp

FNG
I was hoping to get some help deciding on a rifle scope for my 243 Chassis Rifle. I am an experience shooter / reloader, but new to Long Range shooting. I want to spend enough, so I don't have to upgrade in a year. My main hunting application for this rifle will be Prairie Dogs. I have been reading about the Nightforce NXS, the Leupold Mark V, and the Swarovski Z5. Should I spend that much? Should I spend more? Thanks for the help.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it is our pleasure to assist in discussing different options and opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have a few moments

For prairie dogs any of those will work well. I'd personally pick the Mark5 of the 3 you have listed.

I used a Kahles K624i when I killed my furthest prairie dog to date at 1404 yards with my 6 Creedmoor. I was only on 12-14x and the glass was still plenty capable to let me make the shot. You could expect similar performance from the scopes you mentioned above.

OP
S

Srp

FNG
Thanks for all of the help. I opted for the Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 with MOAR reticle. Probably way more scope than I need.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stugotz

FNG
You will not regret your NF purchase! I have 3 - 3.5-15x56 NF scopes mounted on 3 AR15's I built for P. Dog hunting. From my experience, anything much higher 15x is over kill. I came to this conclusion after mounting one of my NF 5-25-56 ATACR MOAR-T Enhanced scopes on one of my .223's. It was wonderful for strictly shooting dogs, but after a couple of instances of discovering coyotes wandering in to my dog town after a lunch break, 25x is a real bitch after the 1st shot! I took a poke at a coyote at about 300 yards with a VERY stiff cross wind. He/she kicked in the afterburners and at 25x I never saw my splash. Once I dialed back my magnification, that coyote was out well beyond 400 yards. Needless to say, he/she lived to see another day...