Scope clearance question

NB7

WKR
I was wondering if anyone has any input on whether the clearance on this scope from the barrel is enough?
I don't have any type of feeler gauges to measure with, but I can say this: 2 sheets of paper will slide between the gap with ease. 3 sheets and there is contact but it will pass. 4 sheets and it won't pass. I know this is very rudimentary method but it's the best I could come up with to give quick reference.
This is a Tikka T3X in .300 WinMag and the scope has a 50mm objective.

***Disclaimer...this is not my gun and scope combo. I have borrowed this gun from a friend, because I am considering purchasing this same model and wanted to shoot one and see if I liked how it shoots and handles. Personally I would feel a little better if there was just a bit more clearance, especially since it's a magnum cartridge. Again, this is not my rig and I did not mount the scope, so I don't have much background info on how well it was done. (I can already hear the vortex haters, but that aside would the gap be good enough for any scope)
I'll attach two pics scope pic 1.jpgscope pic 2.jpg

Taudisio

WKR
Mmmm that’s a little close for my liking. I’ve seen some barrel whip videos, but I’m not the expert on if it moves enough that far back to make contact. My guess is the scope and barrel could touch during recoil which could cause an issue. A lot of “could” for sure. If it belonged to me, I would replace the scope entirely (not a vortex fan) and make sure the replacement has a bit more of a gap to make sure it would never be an issue even if it’s just in my head.

Reactions: NB7

eric1115

WKR
I was wondering if anyone has any input on whether the clearance on this scope from the barrel is enough?
I don't have any type of feeler gauges to measure with, but I can say this: 2 sheets of paper will slide between the gap with ease. 3 sheets and there is contact but it will pass. 4 sheets and it won't pass. I know this is very rudimentary method but it's the best I could come up with to give quick reference.

***Disclaimer...this is not my gun and scope combo. I have borrowed this gun from a friend, because I am considering purchasing this same model and wanted to shoot one and see if I liked how it shoots and handles. Personally I would feel a little better if there was just a bit more clearance, especially since it's a magnum cartridge. Again, this is not my rig and I did not mount the scope, so I don't have much background info on how well it was done. (I can already hear the vortex haters, but that aside would the gap be good enough for any scope)
I'll attach two pics View attachment 751387View attachment 751388
This probably will be a 5 page thread. Summary will be:
Rifle is great. Chambering is not. Gap is fine. Scope is the weak link in the system.

OP
N

NB7

WKR
I'm not buying this exact gun and set-up. I just want to try the rifle itself and for now I have it on loan. Personally I'd want just a bit more gap, and a different scope. I just noticed how close he has it, so it's the proverbial "asking for a friend". I told him it looked a little tight for my liking but thought I'd see what a consensus of other shooters think.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm not buying this exact gun and set-up. I just want to try the rifle itself and for now I have it on loan. Personally I'd want just a bit more gap, and a different scope. I just noticed how close he has it, so it's the proverbial "asking for a friend". I told him it looked a little tight for my liking but thought I'd see what a consensus of other shooters think.
The only way it could matter is if they impacted eachother enough to bend the scope.

And if they touched that much in the history of the combo, it would be obvious. The anodizing on the scope would be worn through and it would be shiny aluminum in that spot.

Looking at the picture, they have never touched

Reactions: NB7

Big_wals

WKR

I'll attach two pics View attachment 751387View attachment 751388
personally I would like a little more clearance than that. How is the eye relief? Any chance you could slide the scope forward a bit? Even like a quarter inch would help.

OP
N

NB7

WKR
The eye relief is perfect actually, and it comes up very nice. He and I are about the same build/shoulder size/arm length so I assume it's right where he wants it too.
I'm not adjusting it since it's his gun, but there looks to be about 3/4" more he could stretch it, although I don't know if it that would make much difference.

It's fine.

As has been pointed out, unless the mounting system comes loose or breaks, they will never contact each other.

Reactions: Tnc
OP
N

NB7

WKR
Well I shot a full box out of it today and it was a tack driver, so I assume all is well with the clearance and the quality of the mount. Thanks for the replies

Theres an old video out there. Slow motion of a nightforce IIRC. Was very interesting how much that scope flexed from recoil.

That said, I wouldnt worry about it.

Gen273

WKR
This probably will be a 5 page thread. Summary will be:
Rifle is great. Chambering is not. Gap is fine. Scope is the weak link in the system.
Yep, Eric nailed what most will say.

In my opinion, you are fine all the way around.