Scope/Barrel Clearance

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
@Formidilosus Are you aware of how much scope to barrel clearance is needed to keep the scope from impacting the barrel under recoil?

I recently had my tikka re-barreled and the barrel I got isn’t a standard tikka shank. I believe the one I ended up with is 1.20” instead of 1.15.” Because of this my nightforce nx8 is closer to the barrel than I’d like, and I really don’t want to bump up to high rings. My clearance from the bottom of the scope bell to the barrel is .03”

Scope is mounted in UM tikka rings to your standards.

Attachments

• IMG_6257.jpeg
    IMG_6257.jpeg
    199.3 KB · Views: 34

Marshfly

WKR
Ask yourself this. What could possibly cause the barrel to move so much that at that point, right at the chamber, it would flex enough relative to the action to contact the scope?

OP
longrange13

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
Ask yourself this. What could possibly cause the barrel to move so much that at that point, right at the chamber, it would flex enough relative to the action to contact the scope?
I wasn’t worried about the barrel flexing, but the scope. I figured it wouldn’t but wanted to put my mind at ease. I’ve never seen what a rifle looks like under slow mo so I don’t know how much scopes flex under recoil