School a total WT newbie on Washington Whitetails?

Before I go further - I did do a search here, and didn't turn up a whole hell of a lot, which is why I'm posting.

The plan is to head out to eastern WA next week for muzzleloader deer. I've been wanting to do this for a few seasons, just now getting the chance to go. Most whitetail hunting information online is heavily geared toward the midwest/eastern US.

Coming from hunting BT and MD, the one experience I had helping a buddy last season in eastern MT showed me that these things are probably the most cracked out acting deer I've hunted. MD and BT are dumb in comparison, and that's not a knock against them... I'm sure those who've hunted them all know what I mean. My buddy isn't an ambush style hunter at all, he likes to walk and get down into shit so needless to say he couldn't sit still long enough. I theorized he could've filled his tag by us getting up before dawn and being on a glassing point within range of where we expected them to be and just sitting for a few hours but that ain't his style... I, however, am open to whatever tactic is needed to fill a tag. I don't particularly enjoy sitting on my rear end for hours but at the same time if it works...

Any tips/tactics specific to eastern WA would be greatly appreciated. FWIW, I do not(and probably won't) have a tree stand... and even if I did, it seems those things work a hell of a lot better if you actually put in time during the preseason scouting, which I'll admit I(obviously) haven't done. I'll be there a day or two before season, but I don't think it'll be enough to bother with... and even then, I've never used one.

The units I'm considering are mostly mountainous. All have a decent whitetail population.

Bonus points if you have extensive eastern WA whitetail experience - send me a PM. No, I don't have(nor am I seeking) drainage/knob specific information but general unit information. I'd openly publish them, but don't want "hotspot".

I appreciate any and all help. Thank you!

Vaultman

WKR
Even if the locals that have been hunting the area for "decades" tell you that there are "No mule deer!" in this area, be sure to confirm what you are pulling the trigger on is a legal animal. (When I hunted E. WA, it was a three point or better on any mule deer and any buck for WT. That is why it mattered then, but I am not sure of the regs now.

OP
J
Even if the locals that have been hunting the area for "decades" tell you that there are "No mule deer!" in this area, be sure to confirm what you are pulling the trigger on is a legal animal. (When I hunted E. WA, it was a three point or better on any mule deer and any buck for WT. That is why it mattered then, but I am not sure of the regs now.
Its the same now - definitely on my mind since the areas I'm looking into have both!

Move slow or not at all and keep the wind in your favor. They call them white tail because that's all you normally see. Look for bedding, feeding, and water and hunt corridors. Good luck.

Tjdeerslayer37

Lil-Rokslider
ive never hunted whitetails outside the midwest, but i have a friend that lives near spokane and kills himself a monster whitetail every year. they have some big deer for sure. good luck to you