Scammer response to WTB threads

cayres67

FNG
Anybody else receiving scammer PMs in response to WTB threads. I posted one about a marsupial Bino harness and have gotten some fishy messages and wanted to see if others were experiencing the same thing

Wvroach

WKR
It's common and several threads on it. Hit the person's name and hit report. Wouldn't hurt to post on this thread as well in case they have any other scams in the works.

Tberg

Lil-Rokslider
I got a few last week. I asked for pics including a sign with their handle and date. Never heard from them again.

CorbLand

WKR
I got a few last week. I asked for pics including a sign with their handle and date. Never heard from them again.
This is not a sure fire way. They have gotten really good with photoshop.

Report the PM and/or the person profile so the mods can ban them.

Reactions: WRM
Just did this morning. Newer member, wanted to take the conversation to text. Used photos and exact description from a 2020 listing. Some of the language in the original listing had me a bit suspicious to start with.

I got one last week. I could tell in the response that it was fishy and they didn't know anything about guns or ammo. Ignored and reported and that user is banned now.

last year i did a WTB for a gun. every response i got was fishy. some did the steal a post from years ago others communicated weirdly. i decided to ditch that idea and only buy from a store and wont do a WTB add ever again. id be skeptical on everyone unless they have a history of being an active user on here. check there feed back then check the people who left feedback.

willd

FNG
last year i did a WTB for a gun. every response i got was fishy. some did the steal a post from years ago others communicated weirdly. i decided to ditch that idea and only buy from a store and wont do a WTB add ever again. id be skeptical on everyone unless they have a history of being an active user on here. check there feed back then check the people who left feedback.

I second this. I've posted WTB's on other forums and have had nothing but scammers.

I would refuse to buy anything from someone with less than 100 posts and has only been on here for a month.

I'm going to post my WTB once I've been on here for 7 days and try my luck.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
It's common and several threads on it. Hit the person's name and hit report. Wouldn't hurt to post on this thread as well in case they have any other scams in the works.
There's a report on the message as well. We can't see the conversation. If you report their message we can at least see that

Spoonman

WKR
Yeah I have received a few. They are pretty east to catch though. They are really good about using words like “kindly” and also being very eager to get paid. They also suck at putting a sentence together! Stay sharp and look up who they are and if they aren’t a well known or at least have decent feedback then move forward with caution.

PRC_GUY

WKR
I was scammed once , they told my that their buddy have one and would let , email that person, I learn my les, always deal with well know members.

Mojave

WKR
We are not the only forum that has this problem. Rife on snipershide.com

Mojave

WKR
It is easier to look for a pro deal or call a big retailer like Euro Optics or Cameraland NY and ask what they can do.

It has made everyone super anal retentive when they buy or trade. I will sell but I am done buying online on forums.

If I trade or sell I take about 30 photos of it. When the super anal uptight dude gets it he has nothing to complain about.

I won't even buy used from Ebay anymore. It isn't worth it. Too much tomfuckery!

Mojave

WKR
Bought a pair of Zeiss binos from a guy on ebay, he listed them as near perfect. I fought with him and ebay and he was vague enough in his description that they both screwed me.

So I sent them to Zeiss and they are rebuilding them, for $400. 10x56 German made Zeiss not the American or Japanese ones. T L series. They are nice, but really broken in side. Won't adjust. Hinge is loose.

So I am $1200 into a 10 year old pair of Zeiss binos.

You can cure dumb, just don't buy from a real store.

Mojave

WKR
I traded a pair of Swarovski binos for a Swarovski spotter. Mine had a box but was missing the eye caps. His didn't even have a box. He wasn't happy over the phone when he called me.

He got a $400 more expensive optic and bitched about not getting caps.

Between the scammers and anal retentive people it isn't bloody worth it.

wyosteve

WKR
I require FaceTime with the seller holding the item or I just won't do the deal regardless of the price!