WTS SCAMMER ALERT

Edogg_32

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Schemidst190

This account replied to a WTB post of mine for a scope. I quickly looked thru his past postings and saw he had plenty of activity over the last few weeks just adding to forum conversations etc. Made the grave mistake of paying F&F. He will not respond to any messages and when I reversed google searched the images he provided of the scope, it was from another post in 2019. Very frustrated to be out $670. Hope others can learn from my stupidity!!! Also hopefully the admins will get this account shut down quickly, although Im sure he'll just get a different account under another name. UGHHHHH!!

BBob

WKR
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
This recommendation is copied from the Forum Boss at Accurate Shooter. Good advice to follow. Mby something like this should become pinned to the top of every For Sale section here on RS.

VOICE PHONE CALL ALWAYS!!
In the last 5 years I am aware of only one fraud from our Classifieds where the buyer made the VOICE PHONE CALL. But even in that case the call was to a real retail shop employee, so the scam seller was later identified and arrested.

PHONE Tip: If when you call the provided number, you get Google Voice or some other forwarding service, be very, very, very suspicious. Personally if I called and got Google Voice I would forget the transaction.

DEMAND Custom Photos ALWAYS!!
People read this, but they don't seem to get it. Don't just ask for a photo with a piece of paper with the day's date. The scammers will photoshop that instantly. I can't believe that people will ask for a custom photo, and then they get the SAME photo with a photoshopped overlay and they say "Oh, that's OK". Don't be a fool.

When asking for a custom photo, ensure that you require the object to be photographed in a different location, different light, different angle. Require the seller to interact with the sale item (unbox it, put something on it).

Example for a scope sale: Tell the seller to tie a rope or ribbon around the scope, then put the scope on the dashboard of his vehicle for the custom photo. The seller cannot do this if he does not possess the scope. For custom photo always -- Different location, different angle, something extra in photo that physically connects with the object sold.

BEWARE Non Members!!
WTB listings invite scammers. If the person responding is NOT a member of this Forum, be VERY wary. Even if he IS a member, look at the sign-up date. If someone is responding in the first 30 days of membership, that is against our rules. Notify me and I will ban that person permanently.

There are also darn good reasons to only do transactions with paying members with previous Trader History. The purchase of a membership requires requires a valid personal check, active PayPal account, or valid CC account.

NEVER EVER Pay with PayPal Friends & Family!! NEVER!! Got that?!
The defrauded party here paid via PayPal Friends & Family, despite our emphatic, repeated cautions to NEVER EVER do that. You have NO protections, and you are violating PayPal rules. Why do people still do this -- I simply don't get it...

Consider Paying for Background Check Services
You may want to subscribe to Spokeo.com. This service allows you to background check using a name + state, or phone number, or email. If you Spokeo search a phone number or email and there are no findings, be very suspicious.

About Scopes
I recommend that members buy scopes new. Optics are probably the #1 item pushed by scammers (because guns have to go through FFLs). On a $1500.00 optic, don't take the risk of losing all your money to save a couple hundred. Buy new so you are assured the optic is perfect and you also have the best warranty.”

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of scammers here unfortunately. Sorry they got u. I’m reluctant to buy off here too after the last few weeks of scammers and hackers.

also, people don’t update posts after their stuff sells.

I spent 2 hours looking threw and sending PMs to people who’s stuff had SOLD.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I can only assumed you did not report him or her to the Mods. As such, I reported your (the OP) post, explaining why, so the Mods can take appropriate action.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
You could directly contact a Moderator, or on your own post, after posting there is a Report option in the lower left corner, in green. I used the latter. It takes you to a report page where you can provide information.

svivian

WKR
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Someone gets scammed 10% of the time on here and 50% of that is a WTB add. 100% of the time its a junior member on here just for the classifieds....

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thats why I dont buy anything rifle related on here unless I am very sure the member selling it is good to go with a long history on this site. Paying with Goods and Services wont do you any good anyway on rifle stuff as Pay Pal will just shut down your account if you report it.

KHNC

WKR
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How in the world do people keep paying with F&F with all the posts about not doing it lately? I realize you want to trust people , but you just cant nowadays.

svivian

WKR
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
How in the world do people keep paying with F&F with all the posts about not doing it lately? I realize you want to trust people , but you just cant nowadays.
These are the same guys who arent reading the other posts about scams. They literally log on and go straight to the classifieds looking for a deal or a freebie on the pass forward thread.

KHNC

WKR
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These are the same guys who arent reading the other posts about scams. They literally log on and go straight to the classifieds looking for a deal or a freebie on the pass forward thread.
Yep, thats exactly how it appears to me as well.

KHNC

WKR
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I Just had another promotion call for ATT/DTV. When i clicked 1 to respond, i heard the pakistani guy laughing in the background with his buddies. He said "Got em!!" I said who. He said "Some clueless dude on Rokslide" and laughed and laughed. I told him GFYM!

Last edited:
OP
E

Edogg_32

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey thanks for all your golden input there svivian. I've been on the site for over 2 years and that was the first thing I've tried to purchase on here. I like reading articles and forums here but don't spend half of my free time refreshing my browser and conversing with other users.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Honestly- it seems that every person that starts a thread about getting scammed is due to a recently signed up member with a user name that ends in numbers. Maybe that should be a flag for those posting WTB ads?

OP
E

Edogg_32

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly- it seems that every person that starts a thread about getting scammed is due to a recently signed up member with a user name that ends in numbers. Maybe that should be a flag for those posting WTB ads?
See above response. Honestly

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Some are more trusting than others, and some just want to save that extra 3% which are both understandable. I sold something on here a couple weeks ago and the buyer didn't have paypal or venmo so wanted to cut a check. I went ahead and shipped the item before even receiving the check, that's just me though and I wouldn't do that for an $800 optic I don't think.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
See above response. Honestly
Which above response?
All I was saying is look up past posts where guys got scammed. Every one of them was to some guy with a username like jakted124, or hurtks456, or whatever similar username.

Sorry you got screwed. But, honestly, don't be an ass.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Which above response?
All I was saying is look up past posts where guys got scammed. Every one of them was to some guy with a username like jakted124, or hurtks456, or whatever similar username.

His username ends in numbers. LOL

OP
E

Edogg_32

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which above response?

I thought you were jumping on Svivian's wagon and blaming me for being a new member headed straight to the classifieds. I realize now you were referring to the scammers profiles. Hindsight checks out great, just trying to help others before they hit send. I will have to change my user name and get rid of the numbers on the end as this seems to be a big red flag. LOL

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I thought you were jumping on Svivian's wagon and blaming me for being a new member headed straight to the classifieds. I realize now you were referring to the scammers profiles. Hindsight checks out great, just trying to help others before they hit send. I will have to change my user name and get rid of the numbers on the end as this seems to be a big red flag. LOL

No worries. Just trying to point out something I have noticed to maybe help out the next guy. Hope you can find the guy and get your money back.