Say what you will about Vortex

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
I reached out to them via email Sunday evening to see if they knew anywhere that sold quick release plates for the Summit SS-P tripod (which is discontinued now). Less than two hours into their workday on Monday and I get an email that a QR plate is on its way to me at no charge. Their customer service continues to be outstanding.

And they didn’t even ask for a tip!

OP
CaliWoodsman

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
no one has ever knocked their warranty or service...
Its the fact that you'll need almost always is the thing people don't like.
I get it. For what it’s worth, I’ve only ever used their warranty for situations that were 100% my fault. I know others have had different experiences.

I don’t use Vortex scopes, and it seems like that’s where a lot of folks have issues.

Bluto

WKR
no one has ever knocked their warranty or service...
Its the fact that you'll always need to use it is the thing people don't like.

I hear this, but relative to what? I used it - but it was 11 years later when I sent them in because there was so much trash in an eyepiece I just wanted them serviced and they sent me new ones because I had them so long they were discontinued for a newer model. Which they gave me.

If that’s “built in to the price” then so be it I suppose. Same for the tripod I had. It was 7 years old and I finally trashed it. Sent it in to see if they could fix it, they sent me a new one.

I’m okay with this.

madcalfe

WKR
I hear this, but relative to what? I used it - but it was 11 years later when I sent them in because there was so much trash in an eyepiece I just wanted them serviced and they sent me new ones because I had them so long they were discontinued for a newer model. Which they gave me.

If that’s “built in to the price” then so be it I suppose. Same for the tripod I had. It was 7 years old and I finally trashed it. Sent it in to see if they could fix it, they sent me a new one.

I’m okay with this.
yea but here's the thing. say 2 weeks before your hunt your scope shits the bed, isn't tracking, not holding zero. you cool with either buying a different scope for your hunt or not going? Or spending money on countless rounds until you come to terms your scope is pooched? what about when your actually out hunting and something happens and your scope isn't working properly?
No one is saying there warranty/ service sucks. Its probably the best warranty out there. But if you think about how much a guy spends to actually go on a hunting trip vs the cost of a reliable scope? Take my yearly sheep hunting trip for example. its roughly a 9hr drive north then a 5 hr boat ride into the mountains. so 18hrs total of driving, 10hrs total in the jet boat. The price of Fuel alone is probably 600$ in diesel and 800$ in fuel for my boat....
so if your ok with chancing your hunts on a known brand that has a very good track record of failing then you do you.

slowr1der

FNG
I don't think anyone can deny that Vortex has amazing customer service and a phenomenal warranty. They have my red dot right now for repair and I've been reminded of how good the service is. I asked for a screw size when I did the warranty request and they sent me the screws with a hat for free. In addition to that they also sent me a prepaid label to send the red dot in. So I'm not even out shipping.

My problem with Vortex is the amount of times I've had to use their warranty. It's simply not worth it to me. The red dot that's in for repair now is the only Vortex I still own. I've sold the rest off.

it would be really interesting to see what the actual failure rate for vortex is vs other companies. I would assume vortex moves alot of product so just by math the number of failures will be higher but the % might still be closer to other companies.

My strike eagle scope, UHD Binos and razor rangefinder havent given me issues in 3 years of ownership

D16er

Lil-Rokslider
I think Vortex is great only because of their customer service/warranty I only have had their lower end stuff and it has worked. If youre life isnt counting on your optics, there is no better choice, as soon as it goes down it will get repaired/replaced for life.

The caviat to that is as others mentioned, when youre remote on a sheep hunt I honestly wouldn’t trust Vortex. When you are spending that amount of money on hunts I would like to rule out all possibilities of failures. I just bit the bullet on Swaro’s and of course it hurt my pocket as I do not MD after my name, but I can say with confidence I am good for 10 years or until I decide to change optics.