Savage ultralite 300 WSM cutting edge 180s??

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider
I’m going to start load development for my 300 wsm. I was wondering if anyone has used the 180gr cutting edge lazers. My rifle has a 1:10 twist and I think 200gr is about the most that I’d be comfortable with as far as the bullet stability.

Last edited:

Legend

WKR
I use the 168 hh withRL17 and even a 135 hh with varget in my 300wsm. With heavy bullets and especially monos you will be loosing case capacity (bullet will be seated deep into the case). Not to mention monos like it fast!

Any reason you want to go so big?

The 196 is the biggest i think you can stabilize from hammer with a 10 twist but I would also recommend dropping down a bit in weight to pick up more speed in the WSM. I prefer the 200gr cutting edge lazers in my 300 PRC tho, shot better, have a lower minimum impact velocity and better BC than the 199 hammer

OP
Jfjfrye

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider
I use the 168 hh withRL17 and even a 135 hh with varget in my 300wsm. With heavy bullets and especially monos you will be loosing case capacity (bullet will be seated deep into the case). Not to mention monos like it fast!

Any reason you want to go so big?
Better BC and more energy at distance. Less wind deflection. Less drop. Velocity retention at distance. I feel like shooting as heavy as I can for barrel and caliber I’ll ultimately have a more accurate long range gun.

JakeSCH

WKR
Better BC and more energy at distance. Less wind deflection. Less drop. Velocity retention at distance. I feel like shooting as heavy as I can for barrel and caliber I’ll ultimately have a more accurate long range gun.

What distances are you shooting? The 196 hh has the same BC as the 180 hh...and you will likely gain an extra 100+ fps with the lighter weight bullet.

OP
Jfjfrye

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider
If you want better BC then check out badlands bulldozers or cutting edge lazers
Those cutting edge look badass. Definitely a little more expensive. But the are saying 1200 fps expansions. Which seem wild.

They are spendy but cutting edge had a good sale recently and I bought several boxes of the ones I shoot. I don't think they go on sale often tho

But yeah I agree with jake, if BC is the same go for a lighter bullet if you're dead set on trying hammers. The hammers don't expand at as low of velocities as the the lazers

OP
Jfjfrye

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider
But yeah I agree with jake, if BC is the same go for a lighter bullet if you're dead set on trying hammers. The hammers don't expand at as low of velocities as the the lazers
The lazers have definitely caught my eye. i think I will try some out.

Definitely not dead set on hammers. Just trying to learn more. They don’t offer much information on their site. And a buddy had recommended them.

I have some 175gr. Drt terminal shock that I want to try. But am always looking for the BEST options. The terminal shocks are something I just heard about as well. And we’re recommended to me from someone on another forum.

OP
Jfjfrye

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider
They are spendy but cutting edge had a good sale recently and I bought several boxes of the ones I shoot. I don't think they go on sale often tho
Have you used the bulldozers?

Don't look at hammers if any of that matters to you. They have shitty BCs across the board, lower than advertised.

OP
Jfjfrye

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider
Don't look at hammers if any of that matters to you. They have shitty BCs across the board, lower than advertised.
Yeah I’ve been deep in the rabbit hole the last two days. I’m a no go on hammers. They have too much controversy out there around them to even consider them. I’m seriously thinking the cutting edge lazers and DRT are the way to go.

OP
Jfjfrye

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider
I think I’m going to have to go with 180 lazers. I didn’t see a 190. And 1:10 won’t stabilize a 200 enough.

Yeah I’ve been deep in the rabbit hole the last two days. I’m a no go on hammers. They have too much controversy out there around them to even consider them. I’m seriously thinking the cutting edge lazers and DRT are the way to go.

Never tried them hammers but i wouldn't be opposed to it at all where i know i wont be taking longer shots. Lots of good reviews on accuracy with them and they are more readily available and for a lower price than CEB.

The mcguire ballistics 165 is another intriguing option but in limited info ive seen on this site isn't overly convincing. The Owner didn't seem to want to answer some questions directly and the person posting with the most feedback hasn't made a single post that wasn't about the Mcguire bullets.

JakeSCH

WKR
I think the hammer bullets have a much larger variation of BC rifle to rifle. I've had the same box of hammers get different BC's in two different 300 WM's with the same twist rate (0.02 G7 difference).

That said, I think I would go with cutting edge if you plan on routinely shooting past 600y. Most of my shots on game are within that distance so I just use hammers.