Savage 12 FV 6.5CM Barrel Mod Questions

visage

Lil-Rokslider
I would love some input on how to best modify my Savage 12 FV to be suppressor ready. I picked it up a few years ago on a Black Friday deal at Cabelas for a steal and realize that this is far from an ideal "mountain gun" given the size/weight, but it has worked well for us and the price was right. In an effort to keep this somewhat of a "budget" rifle I would love to modify the barrel to allow for the use of a suppressor and possibly shave some weight/bulk (current barrel is heavy contour, 26" long). I plan to run a suppressor next year and would love input on whether I should simply have this barrel cut down and threaded or if I am better off simply replacing the barrel with a shorter, threaded barrel? Am I overlooking anything here with twist rates and shorter barrels? I believe the current barrel is 1:8.

I'm sure this is very subjective, but of those running suppressors what barrel length do you prefer? I certainly wouldn't want the total length with the suppressor to be over 26" - thinking 24" would be better (so maybe an 18" barrel?). I know I will lose some velocity but I don't see this being an issue given the ranges.

My wife and I currently share this gun as our go-to antelope/deer/elk rifle (nothing over 400 yards). Eventually I would like it to be her dedicated rifle (for the same uses) at which point I plan to pick up a 6.5 PRC for myself.

Thanks!

Unckebob

WKR
Getting a barrel cut back and threaded is something most competent gunsmiths can pull off. I would recommend trying someone local, but there are online shops that can do it. I have not used them, a number of people on this forum seem to have used the following company.

As for barrel length, I infer from your post that you are using a 6.5 CM. My factory Savage High Country came with a 22" barrel. I now wish it was 18-20" although not enough to cut it back.

Having a smith chop it, crown it, and thread should be a little cheaper than a new barrel but you'd still have that heavier contour. Could get a lighter barrel if you just got a replacement. Savages are easy to swap barrels on with the barrel nut setup.

Last edited: