Savage 110 Ultralight, Semi-Custom Tikka, Something else?

pilgrim7

FNG
Hey folks, Sorry for the long-winded question. I'm trying to move into hunting with a suppressor, as Tinnitus and hearing loss are becoming a big issue for me in my early 30s. Ear buds or muffs just haven't worked for me while hunting.

My current lineup of hunting rifles includes a Mossberg Patriot .308, Weatherby Vanguard Compact 6.5 cm, and Weatherby Vanguard Badlands .300 WM. These guns all shoot great for me, but are all lacking in some features I'm looking for. My gunsmith doesn't seem keen on threading the Weatherbys because of barrel contour, and I hate to put more money into the Mossberg. I do the majority of my hunting in thick, steep country in the Appalachians, with one or two Western hunts each year. Basically Im looking for a light (6.5 lbs or less), short (20 inch bbl or less), threaded rifle without going over $1200 not counting optics or can. I'll likely sell one of my rifles to help fund this project.

I've read through the "semi-custom tikka" and similar threads, and I'm intrigued by that option. I had considered the Ruger American Predator, but have personally seen two hunt ending malfunctions with those. The Savage 110 ultralight looks close to what I'm looking for, but I really don't want a finished product much longer than the current 26 inch bbl Weatherby for busting through Rhododendron thickets around here. Am I looking for something that just doesn't exist? Look for a new smith that is more comfortable threading one of my Weatherbys?

Unless you go with a 5” suppressor, you’ll likely have to go the semi custom route in order to get under 26”.

That said, I have an ultralite and it’s great. Easy sub moa

Ringtail

FNG
I have searched everywhere for what you are talking about and it seems that everything is outside of that budget. I bought a 7mm-08 savage lightweight storm and I love it but there is no way you could thread that barrel. I hunt similar to you as I live in western NC. The gun is not threaded but if money wasn’t a factor for me I would slap a proof carbon 20 or 22 inch barrel on it. My dad has the savage ultralight in 6.5 creedmoor and it’s an awesome gun but idk if you want to settle for a 22 inch barrel. The caliber that you want may limit you also. I would like a 6.5 prc but everything seems to be 24 inch and heavy. I’m never going back to a 24 inch barrel since I’ve had this 20in. The tikka compact may be an option as well and get it threaded. I think they have a little heavier contour. Sorry for rambling but let me know what you go with!

z987k

WKR
Sig cross in 308 has a 16in barrel and is threaded. Right at 6.5lbs to.
Folding stock makes it super short for carry.

Kimber Adirondack is short barrel and threaded, very light.

Ruger American Ranch is 16" and threaded 6.1lbs. Caliber options are bit limited there.

Ruger Hawkeye Compact is 16" 6 or less pounds, but not threaded. Barrel looks like you can.

CVA cascade 18", 6.5lbs.

A Thompson Encore takes a lot of length off the gun due to it being a break action. There's a guy on here that built a sweet short, suppressed 7-08.
CVA Scout, same idea, just not switch barrel like the Encore.
Ruger #1, also is short. Very heavy.

Bergara makes the B-14 Ridge in a 20 or 18 inch option for 308. The build them out of lead or something though.

Last edited:

tonechaser88

Lil-Rokslider
I have searched everywhere for what you are talking about and it seems that everything is outside of that budget. I bought a 7mm-08 savage lightweight storm and I love it but there is no way you could thread that barrel. I hunt similar to you as I live in western NC. The gun is not threaded but if money wasn’t a factor for me I would slap a proof carbon 20 or 22 inch barrel on it. My dad has the savage ultralight in 6.5 creedmoor and it’s an awesome gun but idk if you want to settle for a 22 inch barrel. The caliber that you want may limit you also. I would like a 6.5 prc but everything seems to be 24 inch and heavy. I’m never going back to a 24 inch barrel since I’ve had this 20in. The tikka compact may be an option as well and get it threaded. I think they have a little heavier contour. Sorry for rambling but let me know what you go with!
I’m going to second this. The savage LWS has a listed weight of under 6 lbs in a 20” steel barrel. Obviously as stated it’s too thin to thread. The ultralight barrels are too long although nice weight. If 1200 is your goal, I would buy either a savage ultralight in the caliber you desire OR a savage lightweight storm if you can find one. I would simply remove the barrel with a barrel wrench, sell the barrel, pick up a set of headspace gauges, and order a CF barrel of your desired length from xcaliber barrels.

Seems very specific but this is the exact problem I had as well. I ordered the barrel when it was on sale at xcaliber (they typically run holiday sales for major holidays) , it was just shy of $600 with shipping. I went with a 17” cf 7-08. I will either buy a LWS for around $700 if they are available around March when my barrel comes in , or I’ll buy a savage ultralight with the proof barrel and I’ll take the barrel off brand new and sell it. I’m planning to be in the 1200-1300 range when I’m done and I’ll have exactly what I’m wanting. Sorry for the long winded answer, I did look at doing the tikka but it seemed like it was the more expensive option.

OP
pilgrim7

pilgrim7

FNG
I ended up finding a Tikka Roughtech on sale in .308 and went with that. Also ordered a Dead Air Nomad, which comes in at 6.5 inches. It puts my overall length a little over what I was looking for, but it kept me under budget. I suppose I could cut the barrel down on the Tikka if I find it too cumbersome next season. I'll post some pics, weight, and range report when the can gets out of jail.

Bomberodevil

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up finding a Tikka Roughtech on sale in .308 and went with that. Also ordered a Dead Air Nomad, which comes in at 6.5 inches. It puts my overall length a little over what I was looking for, but it kept me under budget. I suppose I could cut the barrel down on the Tikka if I find it too cumbersome next season. I'll post some pics, weight, and range report when the can gets out of jail.
In that price range, it’s really hard to go wrong with the Tikka lineup. Congrats on a solid hunting rifle.

Just an FYI on weights: I have a Savage 110 Ultralite 28 Nosler (24 inch barre). I Weighed it the other day. Bare rifle with mag (no thread protector) is 6lbs 4.9 oz. This is higher than the advertised weight. When I add a muzzlebrake, it is at 6lbs 7.9oz.

I also just weighed my Christensen Ridgeline 300 win mag with 26 inch barrel and radial brake: 6lbs 9oz.

Barreled action on the Savage 110 24 inch barrel was 4lbs 7.8oz with the brake and bolt
Barreled action on the Ridgeline 26 inch barrel was also 4lbs 7.8oz with the brake and bolt.

Between the two, the Ridgeline is quite a bit more expensive than the savage, but not far off of what you would spend on a custom tikka build. But fit and finish of the Ridgeline is light-years ahead of the savage IMO.