Salewa Test fit impressions- Mtn Trainer, Rapace, Raven, Crow

Jalliston

Lil-Rokslider
I've been looking to replace my Crispi Nevada (10.5 Wide) uninsulated boots for a couple of seasons and never followed through. Well, GoHunt had a good sale on Salewas so I bought four different pairs to try out: The Raven, Rapace, Crow, and Mtn Trainer Light Mid.

I wear a 10.5 in just about everything. I used to be an EE width, but after losing weight I'm back to normal width. That said, I have duck feet. I have wide forefeet with narrow ankles and most manufacturers don't make a last that fits that shape. Everything I ordered is a 10.5, standard width.
IMG_4031.jpeg

Salewa Mountain Trainer Lite Mid GTX
I love this one. It is very light, very flexible and just all around comforatble. This boot contours to my foot really weel in the toe box AND in the heel. It is far more flexible than I'm used to, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. The only fit issue is that I do feel the corded lacing that wraps around the instep and I wonder if that would turn into a hotspot. Build quality on these is the most suspect and there are a decent number of unfinished edges around the tongue and eyelets.
IMG_4026.jpegIMG_4040.jpeg

Salewa Crow GTX
This one was a nope for me. Build quality was good with no notable defects. The fit for me was rough. Very narrow and lacking volume in the forefoot. It seems the two boots with typical wrap rands had this issue (Crow and Rapace). Stiffer than the Mountain Trainer.
IMG_4029.jpeg

Salewa Rapace GTX
While slightly roomier in the toe box than the Crow, the Rapace suffered from a lack of volume in the toe also. More comfortable than the Crow, but not by much. I realize I haven't mentionend ankle fit - ALL fit great in the ankle and Salewa's closure system is on point. Good build quality, no defects.
IMG_4028.jpeg

Salewa Raven GTX
This is by far the stiffest boot I ordered and I like it. The toe box is very roomy and relaxed. I think the external toe box is a unique approach and makes for more volume inside as well. There is enough volume I may use the included extra insole. Build quality on these is very good, with the only "defect" I could find being a small gap betwen the toe cap and side rand.
IMG_4027.jpeg

Summary:
I'm still determining whether I want stiff or not and my choices are narrowed to the Raven or Mountain Trainer. I live in Georgia and have used my Crispis for everything, but it may be benficial to have a lighter boot for early season. I really like the siffer sole of the Crispis for elk season in the mountains though. I'm going to walk the stairs a decent amount more before I make my decision.
IMG_4033.jpegIMG_4037.jpegIMG_4038.jpeg

Weights (per boot):
Crispi Nevada uninsulated: 34 oz
Salewa Raven: 29 oz
Salewa Mtn Trainer: 20 oz

JStol5

WKR
Thanks for the review! I’m leaning towards the Mountain Trainer 2 Mid GTX if the scarpas I’m using don’t work out. Looks similar to the mountain trainer you tested. I have similar feet- narrow heel, wide front foot.

BDRam16

WKR
I was between the Mountain Trainer Lite and the Crispi Thor II and ended up with the Crispi. It’s hands down the best boot I’ve ever worn. It’s about the same weight as the Salewa but is a 4 stiffness. My main concern with the Mountain Trainer lite is when I did research the #1 complaint was that they didn’t seem fully waterproof and many people complained of wet feet. Hopefully this isn’t an issue. I still might snag a pair for more general use as all the boots I own now are a 4 stiffness.

I have the Mtn Lite. Loved the fit in a standard width. Put a good handful of miles on them. But they fell apart rather quickly. Even the "body" of the boot...the orange cordura type material...got snagged and frayed and has holes. Soles still have tons of life on them tho. Rand and glue not an issue

I got them rather cheap and may opt for another pair I like the fit and feel so much. But they're a "Disposable" boot.

Thanks for the input. I love the fit and would maybe opt for a leather more durable option, but I'm too cheap to buy 4 more robust boots in their line up and gamble on the fit. That's for being the Lab Rat.

Spindrift

FNG
I own the Raven and Trainer here in the Rockies. In general, both of these have out performed and outlasted anything else I’ve ever tried, and that’s saying something. I won’t be leaving Salewa anytime soon.

For reference, I have flinstone feet. Very wide at the toe box and I’ve broken both my ankles many moons ago, so ankle support is key.

I use the trainers all summer, then switch to the Ravens for hunting season when I need more support and am off trail. For true, frigid late season hunting, I still use my Schnees but I haven’t tried the ravens in that environment (deep snow, single digits). I also found the trainers to run a bit more narrow than the ravens.

All in all, I can’t say enough about the Ravens in particular. Crazy light for the amount of support and stiffness. I would point out that stiff soles aren’t quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the fit of Salewa's, wider toe box but narrow heel works great for me. I have both the alps trainer and the raven 3 as flexible/stiff options. I will say that the Raven is the only boot my feet have gotten cold in. Granted it is an uninsulated boot and I was in 6-12 inch deep snow for a week, can't really fault them for it. On the plus, my feet don't overheat in milder weather.

BronkoRob

FNG
Can anyone compare any of these boots to the crispi colorados?

I tried the colorado for a hunt this last fall but found the toe box too narrow. I liked the stiffness though. The description of the raven having a roomy toe box does sound nice.

I have had the crows and the repaces both boots were good. The repaces were stiffer than the crows but not by much. I settled with the original mountain trainers and found them to be a little less stiff. My mountain trainers are for early elk season. They are a decent boot. The crows were a little less stiff than my kenetrek mountain extremes which to my feet and hunting needs work best. I am a 10.5 in kenetrek but had to go up to an 11 in salewa… I have pretty flat feet and I found the MTs work well for them. The water proofing isn’t the best and they are hard to re treat. That’s why I like the all leather boots… good luck on finding a boot!

Shane802

FNG
I use crows at work and I love them, I’m on my 3rd pair in the last 3 years. That is no fault to salewa it’s just the environment I use them. They do get a little warm when it’s 90 out but I think that’s all boots.