Saddle Hunting Camo

Those running Sitka, what is your static layering system for saddle whitetail hunting? I am in Georgia but want to build a system that ideally uses the same camo pattern and could also use backcountry hunting or for an out of state hunt without having to invest in a lot more pieces.

I was thinking a Ambient 100, Kelvin / Jetstream combo with mountain pant or just accept the fact I would need to use some whitetail line pieces and get a Fanatic hoody, ambient 100, and Stratus set in Elevated 2. For base layers I use FL Kiln and Furnace depending on the temps (I can get cold easy).

Ive tried this every which may, wasted a lot of money and had some frigid sits in trying. I would highly recommend buying what you can for “mountain hunting” that will cross over whitetails (base layers, mountain pants, ambient etc) but buy you a warm static piece designed for whitetails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S
Ive tried this every which may, wasted a lot of money and had some frigid sits in trying. I would highly recommend buying what you can for “mountain hunting” that will cross over whitetails (base layers, mountain pants, ambient etc) but buy you a warm static piece designed for whitetails.

Any suggestions for a good static piece?

Ive owned most sitka pieces for whitetail and western at some point. The fanatic is a fantastic piece but its insanely bulky and picks up burrs bad. I have settled on the Kryptek Vellus though because I usually carry everything in with me and it packs down better. My whitetail system is mostly sitka mountain hunting stuff (base layers, mountain pants, heavy weight hoody, ambient, mountain vest), a pair of stratus bibs, and a kryptek vellus jacket.

Then i just swap a puffy for the vellus for western hunting and dont use the stratus bibs obviously.

Ive also used the kelvin aerolite with jetstream quite a bit. That pair is not as warm for me as the kryptek vellus by itself. The fanatic is warmer than the vellus for sure, but has tradeoffs.

Edit: I also just picked up a Stone Galcier Cirque. Its too warm to test it obviously but i think this one might be a good “do it all option”. It seems very warm and is super quiet. Also advertised as windproof. It packs down smaller than the vellus by far, but bulkier than a down jacket. It will probably end up replacing the vellus in my system if it performs like i think it will after wearing inside.

Last edited: