S21 Ewe Tag

Status
Not open for further replies.

CodyH

FNG
Long time lurker and classified poster, but have not earned the WKR moniker quite yet. I received an email from CO Game and Fish saying someone had turned in a tag and I was next in line if I wanted it; an S21 Ewe Tag. It will definitely be the most money I've spent on a NR tag, but figured it'll likely be the only sheep tag I ever pull. I've always been in it more for the DIY adventure than the inches, and the coolest part of hunting sheep is where they live, so I'm going ewe hunting in the fall!

I'm breaking some of my own cardinal rules, but know folks are a little more free with info on what will, for me, be a once -in-a-lifetime tag. Hoping to gain some insight into the unit. I've talked to the biologist and Conservation Officer in the area, and also researched past harvest sites from pre-2018 when that info was available, so I have an idea where to start.

Hoping to get a bit more info from folks that know:

- Any reasonable chance at all of killing one with a bow? Looks like harvest rates are quite a bit lower than you'd think. It's no slam dunk with the gun. Not sure if it's because no one wants to hike to the top for an ewe, or if the sheep are just that hard to turn up. The conversation officer and biologist acted like this was a fool's errand, but I'm not sure I buy it. I happen to specialize in fool's errands.

- My unit is west of the Million Dollar Highway. All the stuff west, north-west of Ouray. I won't hotspot anywhere, but there seems to be a spot or two that you can nearly drive to, then climb the "easy" mile and half and 1500 ft of elevation to sheep country -OR- there are a couple of past sheep harvest sites where they're way off the beaten path and some serious mileage and elevation gains. I'm open to either, just wonder if the remote country is worth the extra effort or if it's sixes? Seems like sheep can often be right above town.

-Anyone that has spent some time in that country that is willing to share info in a PM is greatly appreciated.

I'll happily report back and not disappear after valuable info is passed along like you often see here. I'll make a scouting trip in late summer, then spend a week or two chasing sheep. I'm a middle-aged desk jockey that still tries to stay in reasonable shape so I can chase elk every year. You won't see me on the gram with a fitness channel, but I'm not afraid of hard work and big country.

Thanks All.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to Rokslide. You should take an opportunity to look around a bit and you'll find this community is pretty awesome.

Now unfortunately we aren't letting FNG's (new guys) post up unit specific questions. Any unit question/answers remain out in the world wide webs forever, which can doom some really great spots.

Rokslide's administrations expectation is that all long standing Rokslide members will understand and support this concept and take all such conversations to private message.

Yes it's a hassle to join and be part of this community but the rewards are worth the effort including the ability to send and receive private messages.

Hope to see you active in the forums, and good luck on your hunt, that's a really good tag.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.