S NM Rut timing

COelk89

Lil-Rokslider
For any experienced hunting the first archery season in southern NM or AZ, when do things typically heat up? I've been to elevations from 7k to 9500 feet. It seems awful quiet. Lots of cows around so that's a good sign! Bulls up higher have not rubbed velvet off yet from the ones I have seen and lack of fresh rubs. My strategy has been to bugle and then cow call so far. I'm thinking the last few days of my hunt may be the best. Or that's the plan at least

God luck out there!

I'm assuming you're hunting the Gila. It's not uncommon to get into some hot action up to the 4th. Other than that, you'll likely be hunting silent elk for the most part until around the 10th when you should hear a few vocal elk and it should get better at the end of your hunt vocally.

Just because they may be silent doesn't mean you can't get the right bull fired up though. If you set up near but not in bedding areas, you will likely hear a lazy bugle responding to your calls after 10 am. Then nothing. Unlikely they will move from that spot until after 3:30 if you don't push em.

From 3:30 til dark is when I've had my most action on that hunt. Although like right now you could very well get some hot action in the mornings. That's been my experience in the Gila. You may also hear elk sounds that no one ever talks about during this hunt. Subtle quick sounds. Pay close attention to these sounds. It could put a big bull in your pack. Raking is effective during your hunt.

Last edited: