Rut Report, CO 3rd Season

nobody

WKR
How’s the rutting activity for everyone on a 3rd season tag?

We are in unit 3/301 right now and blown away by how little rut activity we are seeing. Talked to some locals this morning who said they’ve never seen the rut not be started by now, but even on their private ground they’re not seeing much. We saw a 2x3 checking a doe yesterday, but with as many does as we are seeing, we can’t believe we aren’t seeing bucks rutting them. Just curious what everyone else is seeing?

As a side note, anybody on unit 3 looking for elk, I got you covered, because holy crap are they thicker than flies in here this year!

mporter012

Lil-Rokslider
Nothing in 28/18 that I'm seeing. Does alone, bucks alone. Last year I killed a buck on Thursday of 3rd rifle they were ruttin good.

bluumoon

WKR
Saw a few hundred deer between Ridgeway and Montrose last night along the highway, only saw 1 buck look rutty.

NV HUNTER

WKR
Small bucks , lots of does, but not what I expected with this hunt being this late?

Last edited:

GPool1842

WKR
50/500/501, only seen a few groups of deer so far, one of which was crossing the road mid day (two does no buck). Saw a buck with 4 does mid day and saw them again a couple days later but he wasn’t pushing them hard, just tending them. Saw 4 does last night but no buck with them.

Saw a herd of probably 150 elk on private.

First time hunting muley, but thought I would have seen more deer by now. Not sure if I’m too low or what (8500-9500). Gonna keep at it…

Last edited:

jedi

FNG
50/500/501, only seen a few groups of deer so far, one of which was crossing the road mid day (two does no buck). Saw a buck with 4 does mid day and saw them again a couple days later but he wasn’t pushing them hard, just tending them. Saw 4 does last night but no buck with them.

Saw a herd of probably 150 elk on private.

First time hunting muley, but thought I would have seen more deer by now. Not sure if I’m too low or what (8500-9500). Gonna keep at it…
ill be there next week for my tag. few different groups of buddies in both ends of the state hunting third season tags. theyve all ben saying the same. groups of does with not much for bucks, mature bucks, to be seen. hopefully it picks up for everyone the next few days but please, save me a big one ha!

joelski

FNG
Was just in 28 for several days and nothing happening where I was at. All the does and bucks I saw were separate, only rutty activity I saw was one buck chasing a couple does on some private driving home

Hnthrdr

WKR
All does I found (10ish) had bucks in tow, buck i shot on the opener was tending 7 or so does. And 2 other little bucks tailing the group, the rut was rocking where I was at

GPool1842

WKR
ill be there next week for my tag. few different groups of buddies in both ends of the state hunting third season tags. theyve all ben saying the same. groups of does with not much for bucks, mature bucks, to be seen. hopefully it picks up for everyone the next few days but please, save me a big one ha!
I shot a 4x4 yesterday at noon. He was with 4 does but was really just tending. Also saw a group of does without a buck feeding a few miles away from these deer late morning as well. A lot of my sightings were during lunch time. Hunt all day!

jedi

FNG
I shot a 4x4 yesterday at noon. He was with 4 does but was really just tending. Also saw a group of does without a buck feeding a few miles away from these deer late morning as well. A lot of my sightings were during lunch time. Hunt all day!
great heads up, thanks! ive killed more deer between 10-2 than i could probably count. im out ALL day.

elkman224

Lil-Rokslider
Just back from 34. Saw over 100 does and 6 bucks which most were small forks or little 3x3s. Did kill a whopper following a doe. Saw a decent 4x4 amongst 10 does but was just feeding along with them. Next week it should be white hot.

In the upper Ark they are rutting down lower in private fields but saw 4 groups totaling 35 does by themselves on public land across 2 units. The one buck we did get was swolled up but all by himself.

ColoradoV

WKR
I was in several units helping friends (Eagle, Gunny, and central units) and where I was the bucks were rutting hard. Very hard or bent ears and fighting almost every day.. No matter what folks say Gunnison basin is missing a age class from the 16’ and 18’ winters. Colorado drainage has bigger deer but man they took a beating this year.. Only one unit had a banner year pry not hard to figure what one.

Or I guess what I am saying is bucks were killed off in high numbers.. Big bucks were killed, up and comer bucks were killed, and dink spikes were killed. Cpw is getting their wish as big bucks will again be less prevalent on the landscape next year and the foreseeable future…

How’s the rutting activity for everyone on a 3rd season tag?

We are in unit 3/301 right now and blown away by how little rut activity we are seeing. Talked to some locals this morning who said they’ve never seen the rut not be started by now, but even on their private ground they’re not seeing much. We saw a 2x3 checking a doe yesterday, but with as many does as we are seeing, we can’t believe we aren’t seeing bucks rutting them. Just curious what everyone else is seeing?

As a side note, anybody on unit 3 looking for elk, I got you covered, because holy crap are they thicker than flies in here this year!

Was in 3 for 3rd season. arrived early and the big bucks were pushing does. Season started and every group of does had a 2x2 pushing them around.. found a few larger ones tending not pushing, but the one decent 3x4 I saw got killed trying to leave his group of does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey man. Shoot me a pm. Headed to 3/301 in the morning to start scouting for 4th season elk. Would be much appreciated

A group of my buddies were there for third rifle, said that place was full of elk. Same report from another friend who was on the opposite end of 3. Seven guys shot six elk and three deer in four days of hunting. They typically park, post up in a spot on a ridge, and wait, so when they do that well it's safe to assume the elk are moving through there pretty heavily.

Heard the same exact thing from a guy from CA I talked to up on a ridge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk