Rut Hunting Mule Deer

I drew a Mule Deer tag in Idaho for rifle during the Rut. Hunt dates are between November 10th through November 24th. I have only been in the west for 1 and half years, grew up in the Midwest before this, so still very new to this whole thing. I've never even harvested a mule deer before.

My thought is to scout during the month of october, find where the does are hanging out. Then sit on does during the hunt, and just wait for the bucks to find them. Some contacts told find long ridgelines, with lots of finger ridges, and work down the ridge tops and glass down. Very steep country, so it is hard to spot a deer a long ways away, and make a move on it. I figured it would be especially hard in the rut, because the bucks won't be staying still.

Curious to any insight that people have for a hunt like this. If someone has experience in this area, any thoughts are especially appreciated, but any one with insight on hunting mule deer in the rut would be great too.

Last edited:

CC11

Lil-Rokslider
Just a heads up, might take the unit number out of your post otherwise you won't get any answers and most likely the thread will get locked

OP
F
Just a heads up, might take the unit number out of your post otherwise you won't get any answers and most likely the thread will get locked
Thanks for the heads up. I don't think I can edit my post as a new guy, so I apologize in advance to everyone. I know unit dropping is usually shamed but figured since it was a hard to draw hunt, it was kosher. My bad!

Raghornklr

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the heads up. I don't think I can edit my post as a new guy, so I apologize in advance to everyone. I know unit dropping is usually shamed but figured since it was a hard to draw hunt, it was kosher. My bad!
It just makes it even harder to draw.

You'll see a lot of deer in that unit in November. Get good glass, cover an area then move and repeat until you find what you're looking for.

Reactions: Guy
OP
F
It just makes it even harder to draw.

You'll see a lot of deer in that unit in November. Get good glass, cover an area then move and repeat until you find what you're looking for.
good points! When I am able to, I will edit the unit number out. Everyone please don't respond to the unit till then.