Running hounds in wolf territory?

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty new to hound hunting but preparing to take my three dogs out to weeks when it opens back up. Area I’m hunting with hounds I also hunter/trap wolves because there is a large pack that runs here.

I try to keep up with them but obviously when they get on a scent they can outrun me by a long shot. Is it a bad idea to let them on tracks in this area? Is there anything I can do to make sure They don’t get killed?

I would avoid the area if you have another spot to hunt. Hounds don’t last long against a pack of wolves. A single wolf isn’t as big of a problem. Here in Wisconsin several hounds a year are killed by wolves while bear hunting.

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
I would avoid the area if you have another spot to hunt. Hounds don’t last long against a pack of wolves. A single wolf isn’t as big of a problem. Here in Wisconsin several hounds a year are killed by wolves while bear hunting.
Damn. Just set up my entire Wall tent camp there. Allegedly this is one of or the largest single pack in the lower 48.

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
They usually only run through every 2 to 3 weeks but I guess it’s not worth a chance. With my luck I’ll be running them at the one time they come through.

2rocky

WKR
You trying to get your name in the paper?

bsnedeker

WKR
As long as they don't look like a Husky they should be safe from a certain female hunter.;)
Neither here nor there, but that lady's daughter goes to school with my daughter...she's not having a good week. I feel pretty bad for her.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk