Running Generator At Altitude

Njtaxi

FNG
Just wondering how my little "suitcase" generator is going to run at altitude. I'm coming from sea level, and will be elk hunting in the Grand Mesa (10,000ft?). Anyone else every try this? Carb adjustment, or did it run fine?

I don't want to disturb other people, so it will be used respectfully!

TIA.

Dunndm

WKR
Just wondering how my little "suitcase" generator is going to run at altitude. I'm coming from sea level, and will be elk hunting in the Grand Mesa (10,000ft?). Anyone else every try this? Carb adjustment, or did it run fine?

TIA.

Been all over the us with a generator. Don’t Over complicate a small motor. It’ll be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catahoula

WKR
I changed the jet in my generator for altitude by contacting manufacturer (Champion). They sent me their “altitude kit” free of charge upon request. I’ve run the generator above 10k with no issues. I think most companies will offer such said “altitude kit” for their generators/inverters.

wyosteve

WKR
On my Honda 2000 I had to change the jet as well. Certainly runs better at altitude now, although it did run before, just not as efficiently. Cheap insurance to change the jet for 10k to make sure, imo.

traildust

Lil-Rokslider

TIA.
Just got back from the mesa 2 days ago.....little Honda 1500 and Westinghouse 2200 ran like champs @10,400ft

Stihl chainsaw was a little finicky though

sasquatch

WKR
Will work fine, bring a spare plug for good measure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Titan

WKR
Yeah the smaller ones seem like they can handle it better than a larger unit. 2000w champion had no issues at 11k besides power loss. 5500w needed a jet change (free if you email them).

I had my old Honda 2000 jetted for CO elevation when I lived there. Then jetted it for low elevation...regular jet when I moved to BC. The risk isn't taking a low elevation jetted gas engine up higher, although it will run too rich and maybe foul the plug (like leaving the choke on).....it is the opposite when you take a rig jetted for 10,000' down to seas level and it runs too lean. The motor will run hot and potentially fry itself. Happened to a buddy that bought my Honda 250 Trials bike. He took it from the CO high country to the AZ low desert and ruined the motor on his first foray out with it.