Running for NRA Board of Directors

jpr9954

FNG
First off, I secured the permission of the administrators before posting this and I thank them for granting me permission to post this here.

I have been a critic of the grifting and corruption at the NRA as well as a critic of the refusal of some Board members to acknowledge their part in allowing it to happen by looking the other way. If you have read my blog, No Lawyers - Only Guns and Money, you know where I'm coming from. My reporting of events at the NRA has even made it into the trial of the NRA in New York which was a shock to me.

I had long thought I could do more to help reform the NRA being on the outside looking in. My viewpoint has changed. After discussing it with my wife, I have decided to run for the Board of Directors. While my name has been submitted to the Nominating Committee as one of the reform candidates, I'm not going to hold my breath that I will be nominated by them.

I can still be on the ballot by petition and that is the alternative that I am following. I need to gather 398 valid signatures from voting members and submit them by October 8th. Voting members are either NRA Life Members of whatever level or Annual Members with 5-years of continuous, unbroken membership.

My petition can be downloaded from here.

If you are a voting member, please consider signing my petition. My goal in running as a reform candidate is to see the NRA cleaned up and to become more effective where it matters. By that I mean training thousand of new shooters monthly, working with hunters to protect our sport from animal rights activists, and strongly advocating for the Second Amendment on both Capitol Hill and in the state legislatures.

Please email me at jpr9954 AT gmail DOT com for my mailing address.

Thanks for your help.

mi650

WKR
Good luck! And I mean that sincerely. I've spent some time talking with a couple guys who did this, in person and by email. 1 of them eventually got a seat on the board, after trying for 3 years. The other is a 2A attorney and gave up after a couple years. (He's doing much more for us in courtrooms across the country anyway.) They were both put thru the wringer by the NRA swamp. It was pretty ugly. Be prepared.

My wife and I were at the convention when shit really started coming out about Wayne & Co. We had a quick meet & greet with Col. West, he and Ollie North were trying their best to take them down. Even they couldn't get it done. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to discourage you. Just be ready for what you'll be up against.

Anyway, there are 3 NRA life members here in my house. I'll get the petition filled out and sent to you.

IDVortex

WKR
Good luck. If the NRA turns themselves around, I would donate until then other orgs will get my money.
That's how I am now. I don't even use gun ranges that require you to get a membership with the NRA. The NRA is as much of a threat to the 2A as politicians are.

tony

WKR
Patron member
Damn shame the way wayne used our money for his personal life. Even worse the "board" allowed it to happen. Haven't sent a dime in the last few years.

Dos XX

WKR
I clicked on your links. There is very little information about you. Who are you? Short biography?

OP
J

jpr9954

FNG
I clicked on your links. There is very little information about you. Who are you? Short biography?
I am a blogger, former podcaster, hunter, 2A activist, and Endowment Life Member of the NRA. I retired in 2022 after 25 years as a financial planner with a CFP. I have Masters in Project Management. Additionally, I taught finance, financial planning, risk management, and retirement planning as an adjunct at Western Carolina University for 10 years. I have served on both non-profit and governmental boards. I am currently on the DSC Carolina Foundation Board of Directors. As I write this, I am sitting in Limpopo Province, South Africa on my second ever international hunt.

As to my blogging background, I have been blogging for over 14 years and was named the recipient of the 2017 Second Amendment Foundation’s Ray Carter Blogger of the Year award. I have been a critic of the direction of the NRA for the last few years and have provided readers with news and inside information that has been shared with me. My blog was quoted in the NY Atty General’s trial of the NRA in the questioning of NRA Secretary and former General Counsel John Frazer.

A native North Carolinian, I live in western NC and have since 1982. I’m 67 married, have 2 adult stepdaughters, and 2 granddaughters.

Last edited: