Rugged terrain/ backcountry experience in the Gila

I know that some of the most popular units in the Gila are considered "easy" terrain relative to a lot of other western elk hunting. I hunt Colorado every year, and seek out a rugged backcountry experience as much as I seek out elk opportunity. So I'm curious, of all the Gila and surrounding units, which offers the most rugged terrain and backcountry experience for a backpack elk hunter? 21A and 16D jump out in my research, but I'm curious to hear from people who have actually had boots on the ground in the Gila, where is the best backcountry experience?

*Also, I'm aware of other units in New Mexico NOT in the Gila that offer incredible backcountry experiences, as well as amazing hunting. I'm not interested in discussing those in this thread. 🙂

Last edited:

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
Think you mean "B" not "D"- 22 on the west side. Nothign wrong with 21A. Go look at the wilderness areas- See your avatar assuming you have horses or mules, I would look at those units within the wilderness. Even if you wanted to stay backpack hunting, would look at these areas.

Fire burn terrain in C. Hands down way f’n worse than anything in B.
C is real.
21 A will put hair on your nuts too.
I know you don’t want to talk about other units. Florida mtns, just sayin’

OP
Lil-Rokslider
Think you mean "B" not "D"- 22 on the west side. Nothign wrong with 21A. Go look at the wilderness areas- See your avatar assuming you have horses or mules, I would look at those units within the wilderness. Even if you wanted to stay backpack hunting, would look at these areas.
Thank you my friend. I am a farrier. I see horses everyday for work, so I don't want to even think about a horse when I'm hunting, ha. That's my vacation time.

OP
Lil-Rokslider
Fire burn terrain in C. Hands down way f’n worse than anything in B.
C is real.
21 A will put hair on your nuts too.
I know you don’t want to talk about other units. Florida mtns, just sayin’
Elk in the Florida's? I don't think so......