Ruger M77 MKii trigger job

MT-nuffgun

Lil-Rokslider
Decided I would try to stone And polish my first trigger ever. This rifle is a 22-250 ruger m77 mkii that I inherited from my dad. It has always broke at 4lbs which I always thought was a little heavy for a varmint gun. So tonight I tore it apart and and started lightly working ( so I thought) it on a 1000 grit diamond stone. After my first series I put it back together and it broke at a crisp 1lb😳. I was hoping for 2-2/12 lbs when I was done. When they said go lightly they really were not kidding lol. The good news is the gun will not go off on safe or fire when you beat it around and I tested this theory good and well. I really do like the trigger now but am unsure if I should be worried? I have read that a lot of varmint hunter prefer 1-2 lb triggers. I have a cz 527 American with a target trigger that breaks at 1 1/2 lbs and have always enjoyed that rifle. Any thoughts?

JAC43

FNG
Did you work both the notch and the sear to get it that light? If you only polished the engagement surface finish and nothing else I probably wouldn't worry. That is light for a Ruger factory trigger in a hunting rifle though, if angles changed it could become unsafe at a later date as it wears in, or if dust/grit gets into the works.

OP
MT-nuffgun

MT-nuffgun

Lil-Rokslider
I never touched the sear, didn’t get that far lol. The gun always had a good crisp break with no creep, so i didn’t figure I should mess with sear.

Definitely doesn’t take much at all. If the trigger pull isn’t bad before hand usually just a little polish and a smear of grease gets it right, without removing much metal. I’ve got a couple of mark 2 triggers laying around if you want one to try again.

OP
MT-nuffgun

MT-nuffgun

Lil-Rokslider
I actually just got back from the range. I think I am going to run with it. Trigger is very crisp and I can see myself growing very fond of it. I really don’t feel like this trigger is unsafe after Beating the gun around and on most hunts I don’t have a round chambered until I am setup for a shot. Thanks for the offer but if I decide against the trigger job I will probably just fit it with a timney. I plan on using this rifle for a bear hunt in a couple of months so I will be spending a lot of range time with it.