Ruger American Predator issues - CS experience

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a Ruger American Predator chambered in 6 Creedmoor with the AI mag pattern, and since new it jams if the mag is seated completely with the bolt open (as per their instruction manual that comes with the rifle). I estimate there's about .060" of difference between the mag being fully seated and up against the retainers in the well, and being pulled down against the latch, but if the mag is pulled down against the latch the casing hits the feed ramp and chambers flawlessly. Obviously doesn't function properly, so I sent it back to Ruger. 4. TIMES.

1st attempt - Apparently Ruger has a couple different locations that address different issues. Rifle went to the wrong location, but was "cleaned and inspected", and sent back.

2nd attempt - Made it to the right factory this time, their systems aren't synced up so after fighting with CS for an hour exclaiming that I've already sent it back once, she contacted the other facilities and confirmed. They immediately changed tone, and I thought I was making progress. Detailed description of the issue was documented by CS rep verbally, along with a hand written note shipped with the rifle. They replaced the magazine and sent me an extra. Still jams.

3rd attempt - Went through the same ropes, they replaced the barrel and sent it back without notification. I asked if I could talk to one of their techs about how they came to the conclusion the barrel needed to be replaced, or what they did to address the feeding issue, and they wouldn't let me speak to the techs. Apparently that's against their policy. Still jams.

4th attempt - They requested videos of the issue with factory ammo, so I found some 108 Match and videoed exactly what was happening. They requested the rifle be sent in because their "tech" said it needs "retainer pins" replaced in the mag well. I told him there are no pins because the retainer stops are casted into the plastic, but sent it back anyways. They replaced the bottom plastic and magazine, and sent me a video of their tech test firing it on the bench. You could visibly see that he was running the bolt with enough force that he was powering through any slight jam. I asked them to simulate running the bolt like an 11yr old girl instead of a 40yr old lumberjack, or to eject a round after he seats the mag and chambers it, and take a video of what the tip looks like when it comes out. They said that they function test fired the rifle 12 times to their standards and that there were no functional issues identified. Received the rifle, still jams.

5th attempt - I asked for the rotary mag conversion kit to rule that out as well and he requested I send the rifle in. I called and talked to a different rep and explained my situation, and she was very nice about it and sent me the rotary mag conversion kit, unfortunately still jams.

6th attempt - I asked if they would take this situation into consideration and just refund me so I can wash my hands of it, they requested I send the rifle back so they could do a function test, and upon failure they can deem it inoperable and replace it with a new rifle, but they pretty much said they would not in any case issue a refund.

So their CS will give it hell to keep customers happy, but their techs are jackasses and will obviously manipulate things to pass their "functions tests" and get it off the bench. They are not interested in identifying, or fixing, and actual functional issues.

At this point as an honest person I can't sell a rifle that doesn't function properly without disclosing that, so I'm fully prepared to butcher the stock and try to get it functioning myself. I have an idea of how I can do this, whether or not I can execute it will be determined. I will post pics when I get to it.

Obviously not a lot of stock options and I want to keep this rifle as light as possible, it does have some sentimental value to it so I really didn't want to get rid of it anyway. Not interested in the magpul stock, but curious has anyone had this issue and fixed it, or dropped their RAP into a Boyd's stock with their AI bottom metal conversion kit? Or used it with the rotary mag?

BLJ

WKR
On 24 Hour Campfire a member over there retrofitted the Boyd’s bottom metal onto a factory Ruger American stock. Goes by mainer_in_ak. Maybe an option for you to sort your issue out and still keep it light with the factory stock.

OP
Harvey_NW

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
On 24 Hour Campfire a member over there retrofitted the Boyd’s bottom metal onto a factory Ruger American stock. Goes by mainer_in_ak. Maybe an option for you to sort your issue out and still keep it light with the factory stock.
I didn't even think of that, I'll definitely check it out. Thanks!

BLJ

WKR
I will say that I have no idea what’s involved in making the Boyd’s bottom metal work on the factory RAP stock. But it sounds like your ready to start hacking, so probably worth looking into.
I don’t think he ever did a write up, just mentioned it a couple random times and I noticed in a few pictures.

I’ve been lucky enough that my factory Ruger AI stuff has been flawless. But I’m 99% sure I’m going to put my 308 in a Spike Camp with there bottom metal. That’s an itch that won’t go away.

Good luck and keep the thread updated. Im interested in what you come up with.

SDHNTR

WKR
That’s total garbage. Yes, so is the rifle, but if they are selling them, they should at least work as designed. It blows my mind the amount of non-functioning rifles that leave the factory these days. Where is the QC? This didn’t used to happen, at least in nowhere near the same frequency, back when Rifles were made of wood and blued steel.

ra3043

FNG

couple solutions here.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ll never buy a Ruger I can’t inspect in person first. I had one of those snubnose redhawk 44mag revolvers a few years ago and the thing looked like it was built late on a Friday afternoon. Huge gaps and overhang with the crane arm, the front sight, while centered wasn’t cut right so it was overhanging on the sides (snagging on holsters). The hammer and trigger also looked like something a middle schooler would cut with a hacksaw. There were some other issues with it as well.

I sent it to Ruger 2 or 3 times, sent photos, sent the holster, etc only to be told it was “up to spec” and that I should “just enjoy it”. My friend had the same revolver but with none of these issues and one of my other rugers looked like this one.

I asked them repeatedly to replace parts with ones that fit properly or replace the gun and they just wouldn’t because it was “up to spec”. They didn’t even seem to care about photos of mine .vs the one my buddy had.

I have a Ruger American Predator chambered in 6 Creedmoor with the AI mag pattern, and since new it jams if the mag is seated completely with the bolt open (as per their instruction manual that comes with the rifle). I estimate there's about .060" of difference between the mag being fully seated and up against the retainers in the well, and being pulled down against the latch, but if the mag is pulled down against the latch the casing hits the feed ramp and chambers flawlessly. Obviously doesn't function properly, so I sent it back to Ruger. 4. TIMES.

1st attempt - Apparently Ruger has a couple different locations that address different issues. Rifle went to the wrong location, but was "cleaned and inspected", and sent back.

2nd attempt - Made it to the right factory this time, their systems aren't synced up so after fighting with CS for an hour exclaiming that I've already sent it back once, she contacted the other facilities and confirmed. They immediately changed tone, and I thought I was making progress. Detailed description of the issue was documented by CS rep verbally, along with a hand written note shipped with the rifle. They replaced the magazine and sent me an extra. Still jams.

3rd attempt - Went through the same ropes, they replaced the barrel and sent it back without notification. I asked if I could talk to one of their techs about how they came to the conclusion the barrel needed to be replaced, or what they did to address the feeding issue, and they wouldn't let me speak to the techs. Apparently that's against their policy. Still jams.

4th attempt - They requested videos of the issue with factory ammo, so I found some 108 Match and videoed exactly what was happening. They requested the rifle be sent in because their "tech" said it needs "retainer pins" replaced in the mag well. I told him there are no pins because the retainer stops are casted into the plastic, but sent it back anyways. They replaced the bottom plastic and magazine, and sent me a video of their tech test firing it on the bench. You could visibly see that he was running the bolt with enough force that he was powering through any slight jam. I asked them to simulate running the bolt like an 11yr old girl instead of a 40yr old lumberjack, or to eject a round after he seats the mag and chambers it, and take a video of what the tip looks like when it comes out. They said that they function test fired the rifle 12 times to their standards and that there were no functional issues identified. Received the rifle, still jams.

5th attempt - I asked for the rotary mag conversion kit to rule that out as well and he requested I send the rifle in. I called and talked to a different rep and explained my situation, and she was very nice about it and sent me the rotary mag conversion kit, unfortunately still jams.

6th attempt - I asked if they would take this situation into consideration and just refund me so I can wash my hands of it, they requested I send the rifle back so they could do a function test, and upon failure they can deem it inoperable and replace it with a new rifle, but they pretty much said they would not in any case issue a refund.

So their CS will give it hell to keep customers happy, but their techs are jackasses and will obviously manipulate things to pass their "functions tests" and get it off the bench. They are not interested in identifying, or fixing, and actual functional issues.

At this point as an honest person I can't sell a rifle that doesn't function properly without disclosing that, so I'm fully prepared to butcher the stock and try to get it functioning myself. I have an idea of how I can do this, whether or not I can execute it will be determined. I will post pics when I get to it.

Obviously not a lot of stock options and I want to keep this rifle as light as possible, it does have some sentimental value to it so I really didn't want to get rid of it anyway. Not interested in the magpul stock, but curious has anyone had this issue and fixed it, or dropped their RAP into a Boyd's stock with their AI bottom metal conversion kit? Or used it with the rotary mag?
I just bought a Ruger American Predator in 6mm Creedmoor and was having the same failure to feed issue.
For me I learned that I could resolve the issue consistantly using the factory supplied AICS 3 round magazine.
The trick, or solution was.

1. Load the mag with 3 rounds.
2. Open the bolt
3. Insert the Mag firmly
4. Move the mag down in the mag well until it stops
5. Cycle the bolt firmly - in testing i keep the safety on

In my case it feeds standard Hornady 6 mm Creedmoor 108 Grain match ELD perfectly. But will not feed if you don't take the step to pull the mag down to where it stops. The normal process of pushing the mag all the ways up does not work...due to I believe design issues with the mag well, the factory mag etc. There is slop in the well that is remedied only when you take the xtra step of applying downward pressure on the mag until it is firmly in place.

Again this worked for me...and may not work for you.

houser52

FNG

couple solutions here.

Look at my ( houser52 ) solution here. I have 2 American Predators and have did it to both. Both rifles feed flawlessly now.

It's amazing that magazine fed rifle technology has been around for over a century and Ruger can't figure out how to make it work.
Agree 100%. They have issues with the garbage factory rotary mag design as well as the AICS mags that "should" work better.

I own a RA, and put it in a Boyds stock. The only thing the factory mag indexes off on the trigger side is a small plastic "tab" on the back of the mag and a small "shelf" inside the action. This goes in first and then the front of the mag has a spring loaded "snap". In my .308 the only way to ensure consistent positive feeding most times is to only load 2 in the mag, chamber a round, pop the mag out, and load another so you have 3 rounds.

OP
Harvey_NW

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
In my case it feeds standard Hornady 6 mm Creedmoor 108 Grain match ELD perfectly. But will not feed if you don't take the step to pull the mag down to where it stops. The normal process of pushing the mag all the ways up does not work...due to I believe design issues with the mag well, the factory mag etc. There is slop in the well that is remedied only when you take the xtra step of applying downward pressure on the mag until it is firmly in place.

Again this worked for me...and may not work for you.
Mine does the same, but I bought it to be able to put in the hands of beginner hunters and that sort of defeats the purpose. I have too much integrity to sell it, so it got put on the back burner. I'll probably tinker on it soon with the cold front. Or just wait for a Stocky's.

What happens if you insert the mag with the bolt closed and then chamber a round out of the mag? The spring pressure from the top round on the bottom of the bolt should keep it down against the latch.

OP
Harvey_NW

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
What happens if you insert the mag with the bolt closed and then chamber a round out of the mag? The spring pressure from the top round on the bottom of the bolt should keep it down against the latch.
On mine it will chamber the first one most of the time but if the mag gets moved at all it will jam.

houser52

FNG

As I stated before, mine was doing the exact same thing. The problem is that the front /top ( projectile end ) of the magazine is not supported when it’s inserted into the magwell. This allows the front /top of magazine to be pushed up too high which lowers the back.( think see-saw ) This in turn drops the base of the cartridge and the bolt rides over top of the cartridge causing a jam.

Adding the drop of JB Weld on the magazine, like I did, keeps the front from riding up too high and keeping the base of the cartridge down so the bolt can pish it into the chamber.

Well that’s lame, so is having to JB weld the magazine so that it will sit how it needs to. I knew the rotary mag versions had feeding issues but it sounds like the AICS do too. Are the AR mag versions the only ones that are reliable?