RRS for Swaro ATC

Jarhead

FNG
Currently running a ProMaster XC-M 522 & Sirui VA-5 with a Swaro ATX 65 for a backpack spotter setup.

Just picked up a Swaro ATC for glassing early season mule deer. No complaints with my ProMaster / VA-5 setup, but I've been overly impressed with my Really Right Stuff (RRS) tripod for long range shooting and want something tailored to the compact spotter.

I've done alot of looking (including searching this form), but I'm looking for some direct input on the compact spotter/tripod setup - specifically the best RRS tripod and best (any manufacturer) head for this spotter? All glassing will be done seated - not looking for something I can glass off of standing or shoot off of....this is specifically for glassing. Willing to sacrifice a little weight for quality and am very partial to the RRS tripod.

Appreciate any experience with similar setups, the options out there are a little overwhelming. Thanks!!

OP
Jarhead

Jarhead

FNG
PS - Bonus points for input on tripod adapters for the ATC.......

JohnB

WKR
I was really impressed with my buddy's Aziak tripod. It felt way stiffer than my Sirui T-0024sk plus a good bit lighter.

Edit: Apologies, I didn't read close enough to realize you were looking for RRS recommendations.

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
specifically the best RRS tripod and best (any manufacturer) head for this spotter?
RRS Ascend 14 compact with an Outdoorsman’s Pan Head.

I’ve owned a Promaster and still own a VA-5. The RRS with the OD Pan is head and shoulders above the PM and VA-5. Quality is no comparison either. The OD heads are the finest hunting oriented heads you can buy :)

Edited because apparently I can’t read or comprehend what was written ;)

Last edited:

NeedleCrook

Lil-Rokslider
The ascent 14 is what you want if you’re wanting RRS. I have the long, but if you don’t want the ability to stand, get the compact. It has a center post so it’s easier to move it up/down for glassing. Bonus you can shoot off it. get the platform option- not the integrated head so you can pick whichever head you want. Im using the anvil-30 and use it for binos, spotter(currently stx but soon to be atc or stc) and to shoot of off. For reference it’s top tube diameter is 28.5mm

This is what I would get.

With this head and SC-ARC clamp

Or this head

This adapter for binos and spotter

With the Sparrow if you want to rotate the spotter you'll need to bring the Allen keys to adjust the strap. Kestrel and Aziak make an adapter that seems to be easier to adjust but I haven't used them. I run straight spotters

OP
Jarhead

Jarhead

FNG
This is what I would get.

With this head and SC-ARC clamp

Or this head

This adapter for binos and spotter

With the Sparrow if you want to rotate the spotter you'll need to bring the Allen keys to adjust the strap. Kestrel and Aziak make an adapter that seems to be easier to adjust but I haven't used them. I run straight spotters
Great recommendations here. Ended up with the Ascend 14L, PT Scout w/ SC-ARC Clamp and the Kestrel Ring Adapter. Tough choice between the TVC-22i and the Ascend. 100% backpacking this setup which drove me to the Ascend.

In the end I'll knock off about 8 oz. in total (adding just under a pound switching to this tripod/head but offsetting that and then some by switching to the Swarovski ATC from the ATX).

Thanks again for the great advice.

Jbuck

FNG
For my ATC I really like the RRS cinch. It clamps on the barrel by the ocular and let's you swivel the scope as needed.

Erebor

Lil-Rokslider
I had the STS version and it was amazing. I found the focus ring hard to fine tune and get into focus. I sold mine and planned to get a Leica because it had a fast focus and then a fine focus and was easier to get animals super sharp, but then I never did and haven't replaced my spotter. I regret selling that Swaro now. It was amazing.