Rookie questions - thermals, scouting, and lunches

Donjuan

WKR
Just a few more rookie questions here. I appreciate the advice I've gained from rokslide so far.

1. I've heard it said, "we got the elk bedded but waited on the thermals to switch in our favor." Is there a certain time of day the thermals switch, or is that day to day depending on air and ground temperature, wind, cloud cover etc?

2. Do you have any hacks on finding elk, particularly in heavy cover if they're not talking? For example, in looking for whitetail I often would follow creeks until hitting trails and go from there. Will that work in elk country? Do they typically bed on a bench on the north slope, or any other preferred areas?

3. What lunches do you like to bring that packs the most calories in the lightest package?

Thanks in advance

1. Thermals switch depending on a variety of environmental factors and it's not always a consistent time. If there's not weather with prevailing winds and the terrain isn't very complicated, I've experienced thermals to switch to uphill when the sun starts hitting that slope for awhile. Many people talk about thermals, but the prevailing wind is often more of a factor because many areas in the west are windy windy windy. Just use your wind checker constantly and wait for consistent air movement before proceeding.

2. It's often said they bed on N slopes on a bench, but they bed where they can stay cool and safe, and likely in a spot where the wind makes it hard to sneak in on them. I find elk in heavy cover when they're quiet by still hunting but moving rather quickly. I move quick until I find fresh sign. I travel through areas I know they're likely not going to bed but adjacent to bedding areas or watering holes. Also, if they're not being pressured slot and a watering hole tends to have swirling winds, they may bed at the watering hole for several hours even though it's not a N slope bench.

3. Fat and protein is usually the best option for high calorie per weight. Or freeze dried backpack meals. I typically take a combo of those and Clif bars and Lara bars and trail mix.

svivian

WKR
Generally speaking cold air comes down the mountain in the mornings and warm air comes up in the afternoon. You should be paying attention to the wind through out the day and overtime you will naturally figure out thermals. Prevailing winds also should be predictable if you are paying attention to weather patterns coming in.

Just a few more rookie questions here. I appreciate the advice I've gained from rokslide so far.

1. I've heard it said, "we got the elk bedded but waited on the thermals to switch in our favor." Is there a certain time of day the thermals switch, or is that day to day depending on air and ground temperature, wind, cloud cover etc?

2. Do you have any hacks on finding elk, particularly in heavy cover if they're not talking? For example, in looking for whitetail I often would follow creeks until hitting trails and go from there. Will that work in elk country? Do they typically bed on a bench on the north slope, or any other preferred areas?

3. What lunches do you like to bring that packs the most calories in the lightest package?

Thanks in advance

I pack a Dagwood sandwich, chips, pickles, carrots, apple, a couple oranges, and maybe a candy bar for lunch.

Since you're only talking about hunting elk during late summer, look for them to bed in thick cover in the coolest possible locations, like the northside of a ridgeline.

In reference to morning and evening thermals, they're not on a time clock and they're influenced by prevailing weather and abnormal weather conditions, or those conditions that are not prevailing.

Good luck.

Gila

WKR
Generally speaking cold air comes down the mountain in the mornings and warm air comes up in the afternoon. You should be paying attention to the wind through out the day and overtime you will naturally figure out thermals. Prevailing winds also should be predictable if you are paying attention to weather patterns coming in.

As stated above for thermals and wind. Elk don’t really like thick cover because that is where the predators hang out. Depends on season and weather conditions as where elk bed. Elk will be found in the triangle: bed, food, water. Bugling bulls are important to find during archery season but not for rifle or smoke pole seasons. Depends on where you hunt. Here in Southern NM the peak bugling times are the 2nd week of Sept. to the 3 rd week of Oct. As far as food is concerned, it depends if you are back pack hunting or hunting out of a camp. i only rifle hunt out of a camp, so quite often I am back in camp for lunch and a nooner. If I pack a lunch it will be a sandwich or burrito, pringles. For snacks, dried fruit, Tex-Mex trail mix, beef jerky.