Rookie fletching question

Rheron

FNG
So every season I try out different Broadheads for the sake of just trying something new. However most of the broadheads have been single bevel attached to an arrow with a left wing feather. This year I’d like to try a 4 fletch arrow using trad vanes- is there a helical on a 4 fletch setup? Curious because I don’t want to purchase a Broadhead that mechanically won’t jive with the 4 fletch arrow.

Three fletch or four fletch is irrelevant to your question.

Left bevel broadheads need a left wing feather.

So if using a left bevel broadhead and trad vanes, fletch with a left wing clamp and you should be good to go.

Reverse the above advice for a right bevel broadhead.

OP
Rheron

Rheron

FNG
Three fletch or four fletch is irrelevant to your question.

Left bevel broadheads need a left wing feather.

So if using a left bevel broadhead and trad vanes, fletch with a left wing clamp and you should be good to go.

Reverse the above advice for a right bevel broadhead.
So I understand that quite well actually. What I’m asking is- is there a helical on a 4 fletched arrow or are they glued on straight? It’s relevant because if there is a helical on a 4 fletch then it will be a determining factor in Broadhead choice if I go with a single bevel. Apologies if my question wasn’t that clear

Totally up to you. You could fletch straight or with a little helical, or alot of helical. However, I do not think it would make much sense to shoot a single bevel with no helical added.

Just match the helical to the single bevel direction.

OP
Rheron

Rheron

FNG
Totally up to you. You could fletch straight or with a little helical, or alot of helical. However, I do not think it would make much sense to shoot a single bevel with no helical added.

Just match the helical to the single bevel direction.
I agree with you and the single/no helical doesn’t make a ton of sense. Never been around 4 fletch. Wanted to try it this upcoming season just to try it. Kind of leaning towards a 4 fletch with a 3 blade. Maybe a woodsman

I've dabbled with 4 fletch a bit. Sometimes it's a bit tight to get 4 to fit around a micro diameter arrow. I shoot day six shafts and you can do it, but it's tight.

OP
Rheron

Rheron

FNG
Didn’t think about that. Wanted to try black eagle instincts this year. Good to know thanks.

Like nevada said, match your fletching direction to your bevel direction so both components are working to spin the arrow in the same direction. If fletching with trad vanes, either use a straight clamp and offset it the same direction as your bevel or use a helical clamp of matching direction. You didn't mention any specific broadheads, but right bevel is more common than left. Some single bevel models are only offered right.

OP
Rheron

Rheron

FNG
Like nevada said, match your fletching direction to your bevel direction so both components are working to spin the arrow in the same direction. If fletching with trad vanes, either use a straight clamp and offset it the same direction as your bevel or use a helical clamp of matching direction. You didn't mention any specific broadheads, but right bevel is more common than left. Some single bevel models are only offered right.
Ya I understand bevel and helical need to match- what I didn’t know was if a 4 fletch has any offset at all. Is it common to have a twist on 4 fletch feathers? I guess in my mind they glued them on straight.

Wrench

WKR
I run all 3 with 4 fletch. I shoot for enough offset for vane adhesion as my primary focus.

I like to take a bare shaft and shoot a target and pay attention to which direction my nock rotates on it's own.....then that chooses my direction for that rig.

I won't get into the single vs double argument and will just say that is about the last thing I worry about.

Fly true with enough momentum behind a sharp broadhead and there's not much to worry about beyond accuracy.

Ya I understand bevel and helical need to match- what I didn’t know was if a 4 fletch has any offset at all. Is it common to have a twist on 4 fletch feathers? I guess in my mind they glued them on straight.
That's completely up to you. If I'm putting a broadhead on the front, I personally want a good amount of offset/helical regardless of vane/feather count. Truly straight fletching (i.e., 0° offset/helical angle) will not impart any rotation to the arrow. I would only consider straight fletching if it were solely a target arrow that would only ever be shot with field points.

oldgoat

WKR
I don't use Trad Vanes, but you want helical or offset in my opinion, definitely not straight, you can get away with straight with feathers because they are naturally curved and will still impart spin mounted straight. I don't have any trouble doing 4 fletch on my BE Instincts and that's doing the uneven spacing 120⁰x60⁰ or whatever it is, the 90⁰ spacing would even be easier.

IMG_20200814_134808743.jpg

OP
Rheron

Rheron

FNG
Excellent feedback I appreciate all your responses. The arrows/Broadheads I’m currently using are great but I just can’t help but try different set ups

OP
Rheron

Rheron

FNG
I don't use Trad Vanes, but you want helical or offset in my opinion, definitely not straight, you can get away with straight with feathers because they are naturally curved and will still impart spin mounted straight. I don't have any trouble doing 4 fletch on my BE Instincts and that's doing the uneven spacing 120⁰x60⁰ or whatever it is, the 90⁰ spacing would even be easier.

View attachment 528224
Your instincts come with a 100gr outsert correct? At least I thought they did. Looking to use a full length instinct 350 spine. Have been using a BE vintage 400 with 225grs up front. Was a touch weak so I cut them to 32”- flew ok but was almost too short. Hope a 34” 350 with about the same point weight will be the middle ground I’m looking for.

Not to contradict or start anything, but I wouldn't get too hung up on helical and bevel matching. I shot all the way through a bull elk shooting a right bevel broadhead and left helical feathers. Didn't seem to affect anything. Granted that's the only animal I have killed with a single bevel. All I shoot is 4 fletch, both trad vanes and feathers. I don't think there is a broadhead out there that won't work with 4 fletch on a properly tuned arrow. If you want bevel and helical to match, especially with trad vanes, should be as simple as getting the right clamp that matches the bevel you have and gluing them up.

JjamesIII

WKR
So I understand that quite well actually. What I’m asking is- is there a helical on a 4 fletched arrow or are they glued on straight? It’s relevant because if there is a helical on a 4 fletch then it will be a determining factor in Broadhead choice if I go with a single bevel. Apologies if my question wasn’t that clear
You can configure three or four fletch anyway you want, straight, offset, or helical- doesn’t matter. If you are fooling with four fletch, as you know- spin them the same direction relative to the bevel of the broadhead. Also, you will get significantly more drag if you’re cranking a huge amount of helical on four fletch- too much is unnecessary and even counter productive at some point. I like 2 degrees personally, for fixed blades.

Beendare

WKR
Fwiw, I’ve tested everything from 5 inch to 2 inch and hard helical to a small offset.

The bigger fletching’s with a hard helical, slow those arrows down significantly at longer ranges. The small offset gets those arrow spinning and trued up nicely..

5” is overkill in a tuned bow. 4” parabolic is good, I’m currently running 3” with a couple degree offset and my broad heads shoot lights out from a bareshaft tuned bow.

CentennialState

Lil-Rokslider
Kind of related, but shooting fixed broadheads (Exodus) is there a reason to shoot 3 fletch v 4 fletch? And secondarily would a low profile vane in 4 fletch (ie AAE Max Stealth) be equal in stability to a higher profile 3 fletch (ie AAE Max Hunter)?