Rivers West

bwlacy

WKR
Anyone here ever use Rivers West clothing? They have some raingear on sale for a pretty good price. It's packable waterproof fleece. I've heard good things about their heavier cold weather gear before but nothing about the rain gear.

Trial153

WKR
Everything I owned from rivers west was a swear box, didn't breath at all. Might be ok for sitting dead still on a stand otherwise I would pass.
I had a vest and their waterproof fleece fishing jacket, used it a couple weeks during steelhead season and just rowing the drift boat I would be soaked from the inside. I went right back to my Simms Goretex and layers...

Poser

WKR
Good and quiet for Treestand hunting or water fowling but, at least what I have (fleece), is too heavy and too warm for Western style hunting. Though the fabric is waterproof, it does "hold" water and gets very heavy when wet. Also is slow to dry. The nice thing about it is there are no taped seams so you can through the clothes in the dryer with no damage.

KMT

WKR
It's pretty waterproof. But a trash bag is just as breathable. If you wear it, don't walk more than 50 yards or you will be soaked in your own sweat. Doesn't pack down very well. Heavier than you would expect.

Depends on how you use it and what weight material it is. I originally got a couple pieces in the heavier stuff and in the PNW it is way to heavy and warm. I have been using the lighter weight items for several years in cold weather, wet weather, and cold and wet weather, archery and rifle hunting for deer and elk. Kept me warm and reasonably dry, and yes level of exertion will dictate how much you sweat and how much condensation builds up. It is wind and waterproof, needs retreating with Nikwax TX Direct wash-in to help prevent fibers from soaking up and holding water(just like goretex rainwear). I have not used the newest and lightest rain wear that they offer so I can't say how good it is. Limit your activity level and it will be fine.

Beginning last year I am getting away from their stuff and started using Kuiu, Firstlite, and ASAT mainly for the lighter weight and wool items and I am changing camo patterns to ASAT or Kuiu vias. I asked RW if they were considering offering an ASAT pattern and they said they had no plans to do so.

If you want something like river west in price range look at Kings camo or game hide. Price the same but quality much better and save on weight.

OP
B

bwlacy

WKR
Thanks for all the info guys. I will pass on the sale then. Don't want to sweat that much. Wasn't really concerned about the price other than it was on sale for 1/2 off. Maybe there is a reason. Might be ok for my whitetail hunting on stand, but sounds like I'd want to pack it in for that also.

One thing to consider is they are tough and quiet clothes, you can bust through some mean brush and they come through fine. Stretch and still waterproof.

BRWNBR

WKR
They are still in business??? When we first started seeing that stuff in alaska we said right off the bat that stuff will get you killed. It gets so wet and never dries. Wasn't very waterproof and way heavy like others stated.
They did a good job of jumping on the tv show advertising band wagon like Thomson center has which is why guys even bought the stuff.
1/2 off...Ya for good reason.

I got sucked in to the advertising hype and bought a set back in '06. After the first couple days on a Oct. Kodiak deer hunt that same year, I realized what crap it was. Blew out the crotch and the shoulders leaked big time. Got back home and Sportsman's ( where I bought them) wouldn't have anything to do with a refund or exchange, they just said "contact RW".