Riser and limb length recommendations for 30 inch draw

Hi all,

Thinking about getting a Hoyt Satori, I have a longer draw, 29.75 - 30 inches. What riser length and limb combination would be ideal for my draw length. I want to minimize stacking and string pinch, but also want to keep it short for hunting. I was thinking 19 inch riser, with medium or long limbs for a 62 0r 64 inch bow.

Would it be better to go with longer limbs and a shorter riser to minimize stacking?

What riser and limb length combinations are you guys with longer draw running?

Thanks

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I went with Satori 19” and uukha mediums, 62” total. I’m a 30” draw. I’m pretty new to souped up recurves but I’m liking it so far.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
How does draw length compare between recurves and compounds........are they similar or different? Just wondering because my draw is almost 33" for compound, and wondering what that equates to for recurve.......in case I want to jump into that realm.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
How does draw length compare between recurves and compounds........are they similar or different? Just wondering because my draw is almost 33" for compound, and wondering what that equates to for recurve.......in case I want to jump into that realm.
I’m sure someone a lot more knowledgeable than me could give you a better answer but I think it’s close. My anchor point is pretty much the same but haven’t measured exact. A little different because there isn’t a hard stop at your DL, be hard to notice a half inch +/-. My arrows are cut to same length as compound and they sit about the same spot on the riser at full draw.

Rob5589

WKR
Same, shorter, or longer. Really depends on your anchor position. I initially was about the same but found a more comfortable anchor spot on my face which ended up about .75" shorter than my compound.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I always see trad guys pulling the string past their nose and into their face, so figured it might be different than keeping the string on my nose for compound.

Wrench

WKR
33" is impressive. That's going to take long limbs and still make them scream uncle. I ran a 28" compound and draw 29.5" with my longbows. This came after learning how to anchor. The first 10 years of trad I was around 27.5-28.

Clum has a good video on finding anchor. Basically, face forward and raise arm to anchor with full scapula lock. Turn your head to the bow arm....that's REALLY close to home.

I would say long limbs. I have a 30” draw and the longer the bow the better in my experience with Trad. I even tried those long bow limbs on my satori

galamb

FNG
I draw 30" and when I had my recurve custom built the builder (deferred to their experience) told me that a 64" (tip to tip) would be best because I shoot split finger.

Now with the different riser lengths/ILF limbs I would opt for the shortest riser with an adequate sight window - if you shoot 3 under you can go with "less window" (shorter riser).

Still shooting that bow almost 25 years later and it's sweet at my draw length but do believe (after thousands of shots both at target and game) that I could have done just as well with 62".

Last edited:

oldgoat

WKR
I am firmly in the your draw could very well be longer camp, if you have good form and don't overbow yourself!!! Good form is the same on compounds and trad, but how you attach to the string is different, I was a good bit longer with trad after dumping the wrist strap and grabbing straight onto the string!

oldgoat

WKR
Hi all,

Thinking about getting a Hoyt Satori, I have a longer draw, 29.75 - 30 inches. What riser length and limb combination would be ideal for my draw length. I want to minimize stacking and string pinch, but also want to keep it short for hunting. I was thinking 19 inch riser, with medium or long limbs for a 62 0r 64 inch bow.

Would it be better to go with longer limbs and a shorter riser to minimize stacking?

What riser and limb length combinations are you guys with longer draw running?

Thanks
I would go at least 62",17"riser and long or extra long limbs

OP
C
I shoot 3 under so i could probably get by with 17" riser and long or xl limbs.

Has anyone tried the DAS 3K carbon bamboo recurve limbs?
Or any other middle of the road priced ILF recurve Limbs?

I’d say at least 62 if it’s comfortable without any string pinch etc… I’ve gone to a 64” bow now with a dollar draw and probably won’t shoot a 62 again. I can shoot it fine, but the 64 is just more comfortable.