Rifle Recommendation Around 1000

Medved

FNG
Hello! I'm new to both Rokslide and hunting and was curious to what everyone's favorite rifles in the 750-1250 range are. I'm looking at picking up a rifle soon in 7mm Rem Mag.

Rifles I've been looking at are the Weatherby Vanguard series, Bergara B14s, and Browning X-bolts. Having a threaded barrell is pretty high on importance. Just wondering what experience people have out there.

Thanks!

Mulyhuntr

WKR
Tikka roughtech if you don't reload. Magazine length and twist are limiting for reloaders in a 7rem mag tikka.

Do some reading on Christensen...

Why not look at the new 7PRC? being able to shoot factory heavy for caliber bullets out of a shorter barrel, with almost the same ballistics as the Rem Mag would sell me on one.

Tikka is the easy answer. The Roughtech and the D-18 (Cabelas/Bass Pro exclusive) come with threaded barrels.

Another option that is a bit more budget friendly is the CVA Cascade I haven't found any confirmation on this but CVA and Bergara are owned by the same company so there is a very good chance that the barrels on the CVA rifles are actually Bergara (similar to Tikka barrels being Sako barrels). What I do know is that they shoot and operate very well and you can spend the extra money on good optics.

OP
Medved

Medved

FNG
What do you want to do with the rifle? Will this be a pack rifle, truck gun, or a walk around gun for day hunting?
Looking for it to be mostly a day hunting gun but would like to be able to use it as a pack rifle too

OP
Medved

Medved

FNG
Why not look at the new 7PRC? being able to shoot factory heavy for caliber bullets out of a shorter barrel, with almost the same ballistics as the Rem Mag would sell me on one.
Thought about it for sure...maybe I should wait a bit till more manufacturers are putting rifles out in 7prc

try googling "bergarbage"

sauers are worth a look if you don't want a tikka. Vanguards are supposed to be decent. my 1 experience with an x-bolt was lackluster, and I've seen it said that some gunsmiths won't rebarrel them, though I've never tried.

Gila

WKR
Tikka T3x model in 7mm-08 or 270 win with a 22 inch barrel is plenty of gun for hunting the West. Carry it on your pack or sling it in. The 6.8 Western in a Browning or Winchester lightweight rifle is a good solution for western game also. My suggestion is to stay clear of a magnum or a “heavy hitting” caliber for a first hunting rifle. Maybe a 6.5 Creedmore would be a good choice for ya....each to their own...been my experience that if you don’t really enjoy shooting your rifle, you won’t.

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Of the ones you listed the Weatherby Vanguards stick out for me. I’ve shot quite a few of them and every one shot really well. They are heavier rifles but not too bad to pack around. 7mag in the vanguard is nice as it will help with the recoil a bit as well since it has a little weight to it. Good luck with your decision.

I was at the range today with my first Tikka T3x. The two factory loads I had both shot MOA. Definitely worth a look.

Choupique

WKR
I like the model 70 extreme weather in that price range. Can be had threaded, and come with an excellent stock as far as factory stuff goes.

RS3579

WKR
Look at a Savage Lightweight storm. 7mm-08. It’s not threaded but a great shooting rifle. $650-750 range. They also have it in a 270 if you want a long action.

With a little effort you can find standard blued Tikkas for less than $700 depending on caliber. Upgrade to stainless action/barrel you can find for less than $800. IMO, the rough tech features don’t justify the premium at all. If you want to play around with different barrels later on, Tikka has solid aftermarket support for prefits, stocks, and chassis.

For a scope, it’s hard to beat the value delivered by the SWFA 6x42 mil quad for $299 or 3x15 for around $500.

rootacres

WKR
Bergara and Tikka, both great out of the box. The Mesa is also a great option on the higher end of your budget. I have first hand experience with all 3, I it would be a challenge for me to pick which one I felt was best all things considered. You'd never feel under gunned owning any of the 3.

*Ive seen the browning in action. I won one at a show, sold it to fund a custom before firing it. A feature I really like on the brownings, when the safety is on, you can push the button on the back of the bolt, chamber a round, never needing to flip off the safety.