Rifle found near Behm Mesa, Arizona

Breddoch

Lil-Rokslider
This was posted over at longrangehunting.com, I figured the more eyes that saw it the better the odds.

Found:
Near Behm Mesa, AZ
Long Range rifle in soft case, middle of road.
Finder of rifle flagged me down and I have his business card. He is eager to get it back to owner. PM me with description of rifle and I will pass along the finders phone #.
Hopefully owner is here on this sight, but if you know of someone who's rifle was lost today we can get it back to rightful owner.
Thanks,
Bob

What an awesome deal. Most people would just think they got a free rifle. Hopefully the owner will be found.
Please keep us updated on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully owner is found. I left my tailgate down leaving the range just the other day. Had I not tossed my rifle in the cab randomly it could be me.

Y’all are doing good stuff

OP
B

Breddoch

Lil-Rokslider
There is a lot of chatter over on longrangehunting about it and the suggestion of getting law involved. Running the serial number is a good suggestion, seems like a path to victory. I will pass along if I get an update. The guy seems determined to get it back to the owner , in this age of technology I bet it has a happy ending.

OP
B

Breddoch

Lil-Rokslider
Update from Bob over at longrangehunting:

The only update I can offer is the Game Unit Manager for 18B hunting unit has the info now. Finder jumped right on it and gave AZGF the info. Assuming they will take possession of the rifle in the next few days...
Since AZGF has law enforcement responsibilities, they have full access with all other law enforcement agencies. One step closer I hope....
Can't believe how much this bothers me, lol. Get it home.

ODB

WKR
Running the serial goes to the manufacturer, then to the next recipient, which may be a distributor, then a dealer. Law would have to then contact the dealer so they can find the 4473. Of the gun was sold after that via an FFL, they keep moving down the rabbit hole. I’ve been on the rabbit hole side of these searches for guns used in crimes. Can be tricky.

if this is a full-on custom rifle, it may be impossible to find the interstitial links. Unless the last makers name is on the rifle somewhere (like Joe’s Custom Rifles , Podunk ID), then might be super easy.

good luck.

CorbLand

WKR
Running the serial goes to the manufacturer, then to the next recipient, which may be a distributor, then a dealer. Law would have to then contact the dealer so they can find the 4473. Of the gun was sold after that via an FFL, they keep moving down the rabbit hole. I’ve been on the rabbit hole side of these searches for guns used in crimes. Can be tricky.

if this is a full-on custom rifle, it may be impossible to find the interstitial links. Unless the last makers name is on the rifle somewhere (like Joe’s Custom Rifles , Podunk ID), then might be super easy.

good luck.
Podunk Idaho huh? Well that only leaves about 97% of Idaho to scourer.

Hopefully the owner can be found.

Reactions: ODB
I had a buddy find a bow in a hard case in the road a few weeks back. Found the owner through Facebook a few hours later. Sometimes the Facebook can be used for good things. Just an avenue to try. Be vague in describing it.

I remember seeing a post on FB a short while back from a guy who mentioned he lost a rifle after leaving his tailgate down and driving off. Not sure of the state or location. Could just be a coincidence.

Might give the local Leo’s a call in case owner called them. If you get a good Leo they can do a few other checks. Just an idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hate to bust your bubble here. There are ZERO searchable databases to locate gun buyers/ guns purchased unless you live in a state that has some kind of pistol permit BS.. ATF can not initiate a trace unless a crime was committed with it and even then they have to contact manufacturer to find out what store the gun was sold to then visit that store IN PERSON to obtain the paperwork...not gonna happen for a found gun..

Marble

WKR
Hate to bust your bubble here. There are ZERO searchable databases to locate gun buyers/ guns purchased unless you live in a state that has some kind of pistol permit BS.. ATF can not initiate a trace unless a crime was committed with it and even then they have to contact manufacturer to find out what store the gun was sold to then visit that store IN PERSON to obtain the paperwork...not gonna happen for a found gun..

That's not actually correct. There is a system where firearms can be traced from manufactures that does not require an in person visit. It's through Etrace through the ATF. Reading the facts on line are little misleading on its capabilities, but basically it will assist in showing the ownership steps in a firearms possession history so that the last know legal purchasers can be contacted. Sometimes it takes awhile and letters have to be written, but it does not require in person visits.

We have used it several times to locate owners of guns that have been found with no claim on the gun.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk