Rifle Elk Hunt

cowboy11

FNG
Hi! So, I’ve been planning on going on a rifle elk hunt after an unsuccessful archery hunt in 2022. I have 1 PP in Montana, and am wanting to go guided somewhere, potentially private land. Here’s a list of guides I’ve been looking at, and want to know if anyone has any personal experiences with any of these, or has any recommendations for a guide. Thank you!
J&J Guide Service, MT
Sage Peak Outfitters, MT
Land of Enchantment Trophy Hunts, NM
J Bar O Outfitters, MT
Montana Rivers and Ridges, MT
Thanks!

Seamaster

Lil-Rokslider
J&J leased property in the South East looks pretty good, but 1 PP will not do it. Their other two leased properties in the South Central and West look like a big waste of time and money to me.

OP
C

cowboy11

FNG
J&J leased property in the South East looks pretty good, but 1 PP will not do it. Their other two leased properties in the South Central and West look like a big waste of time and money to me.
I talked to J&J today and he said I can get 2 points next year and draw a tag

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
Call or email Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, located in Missoula, MT. The non-profit has great Intel and champions for access to wild land and waters. They’ll know good and hopefully ethical guides.
I disagree with whoever above send to rule out south central and west. I lived in western MT for a large chunk of my life and there are some fine,fine elk herds in the west - just 5 years ago saw a herd grazing at the extreme southwest corner/southern end of Bitterroot. Might be some good guides out of the Dillon area and for sure there are some based in Missoula who likely guide the western region. Rigorous hunts, but so rewarding.

Seamaster

Lil-Rokslider
My comments above are based upon the specific properties that are under lease, not the entire region.

Hi! So, I’ve been planning on going on a rifle elk hunt after an unsuccessful archery hunt in 2022. I have 1 PP in Montana, and am wanting to go guided somewhere, potentially private land. Here’s a list of guides I’ve been looking at, and want to know if anyone has any personal experiences with any of these, or has any recommendations for a guide. Thank you!
J&J Guide Service, MT
Sage Peak Outfitters, MT
J Bar O Outfitters, MT
Thanks!
I hunted with James Whitescarver of Montana Rivers and Ridges 5 yrs ago. Great guy, very hard worker.
Lodge was first class. Food was very good. My only negative is he hunts a unit that is very crowded with other
hunters. I really liked James though and he worked hard.

OP
C

cowboy11

FNG
I hunted with James Whitescarver of Montana Rivers and Ridges 5 yrs ago. Great guy, very hard worker.
Lodge was first class. Food was very good. My only negative is he hunts a unit that is very crowded with other
hunters. I really liked James though and he worked hard.
How was the elk population

Young Blood

Lil-Rokslider
Never done a guided hunt, but as a resident elk hunter of Montana my entire life, there is no way I would fork over the money for a guided hunt here if it was on public land. It gets hammered and I don't need to spend thousands of dollars to compete with everyone else. My suggestion is to find a good private land hunt. I also agree with Seamaster that I would avoid the western part of the state, especially the west central and northwestern portions. Densities are too low. Southwest would be ok in terms of elk numbers, but the age class of the bulls (in general... there are always a few good ones to be found) will be less than a private hunt in the central or eastern portions of the state.

OP
C

cowboy11

FNG
Never done a guided hunt, but as a resident elk hunter of Montana my entire life, there is no way I would fork over the money for a guided hunt here if it was on public land. It gets hammered and I don't need to spend thousands of dollars to compete with everyone else. My suggestion is to find a good private land hunt. I also agree with Seamaster that I would avoid the western part of the state, especially the west central and northwestern portions. Densities are too low. Southwest would be ok in terms of elk numbers, but the age class of the bulls (in general... there are always a few good ones to be found) will be less than a private hunt in the central or eastern portions of the state.
Have you heard anything about Absaroka Beartooth Outfitters in Big Timber?

I agree with the comments above about booking with an Outfitter anywhere in W MT. The only public land, general unit where I would ever recommend someone hire an Outfitter, would be a situation where you are being packed in with stock, or accessing landlocked FS ground via private. In that situation, you are getting access and logistical help that is actually a service.

The promises these other guys make are outrageous. A lot of the permitting has changed as well. Instead of having a defined area for a specific Outfitter, more and more areas are going to managing by “Use Days”. It’s on the Outfitter to report their days. It’s turned into the Wild West.

If you draw a coveted permit, you’re booking around White Sulphur on a huge exclusive chunk of private, or in my backcountry/private example above… you’re getting a unique service for your $. But if you’re 1 of dozens of clients that is going to park at the same gated road, or trail as every other general tag holder… you are simply not getting anywhere near the service that you are paying for.

I would think long and hard about spending the $ that is being charged to hunt ANY general OTC unit in MT. Even if you have to save and wait another year to book with an Outfitter that can truly provide you with a unique service, I would save and wait. Others may disagree, but be careful with your $. Don’t spend $1000s on snake oil.

I have no knowledge of the Outfitter mentioned above by @cowboy11 . But if it’s around Big Timber, more than likely it’s largely private and/or you are accessing FS ground that is landlocked by private. So yes, that’s a situation to look into about the service they’re providing. Do your homework. The A-B and the Crazy’s are both around Big Timber, but VERY different locations.

OP
C

cowboy11

FNG
I agree with the comments above about booking with an Outfitter anywhere in W MT. The only public land, general unit where I would ever recommend someone hire an Outfitter, would be a situation where you are being packed in with stock, or accessing landlocked FS ground via private. In that situation, you are getting access and logistical help that is actually a service.

The promises these other guys make are outrageous. A lot of the permitting has changed as well. Instead of having a defined area for a specific Outfitter, more and more areas are going to managing by “Use Days”. It’s on the Outfitter to report their days. It’s turned into the Wild West.

If you draw a coveted permit, you’re booking around White Sulphur on a huge exclusive chunk of private, or in my backcountry/private example above… you’re getting a unique service for your $. But if you’re 1 of dozens of clients that is going to park at the same gated road, or trail as every other general tag holder… you are simply not getting anywhere near the service that you are paying for.

I would think long and hard about spending the $ that is being charged to hunt ANY general OTC unit in MT. Even if you have to save and wait another year to book with an Outfitter that can truly provide you with a unique service, I would save and wait. Others may disagree, but be careful with your $. Don’t spend $1000s on snake oil.

I have no knowledge of the Outfitter mentioned above by @cowboy11 . But if it’s around Big Timber, more than likely it’s largely private and/or you are accessing FS ground that is landlocked by private. So yes, that’s a situation to look into about the service they’re providing. Do your homework. The A-B and the Crazy’s are both around Big Timber, but VERY different locations.
So you think hunting the private land around big timber in November would be a good bet?

@cowboy11
Potentially…
For the $ that’s being charged nowadays, this should be the very beginning of you doing your homework. If they have a chunk of private that they’re hunting and accessing the Crazy’s from… it COULD be a good option. It’s worth looking deeper into. A general unit in NW MT… I’d just tell you to run the other way.
A lot of other Rocksliders will be more experienced with checking out potential Outfitters than I am. Seek additional help from them to frame up questions before you just cold call an Outfitter. Check with previous clients, compare the Outfitters claims to what past clients say, etc.
Good luck

Young Blood

Lil-Rokslider
Have you heard anything about Absaroka Beartooth Outfitters in Big Timber?
No I haven't heard anything about them specifically. I have hunted a fair amount around Big Timber when I lived in Billings. I will say that areas down in the Boulder River can be good but their website says they are hunting the A-B wilderness north of Yellowstone. No way I would pay for a hunt in that country. It sounds great because they market being just outside of Yellowstone, but the realities are that during archery most elk are in the park and during rifle most elk are down on private in their winter grounds. The densities of elk in the A-B wilderness are low. The hunts on the private ranches could have potential depending on which ranch. I would do a lot of research there. There are some giant bulls in the Crazies but they are mostly down on the private ranches. There are only like 3 public access points onto the public in the Crazies so getting access onto a private ranch that butts up to the public might not be a terrible option. I would call a lot of references.

OP
C

cowboy11

FNG
No I haven't heard anything about them specifically. I have hunted a fair amount around Big Timber when I lived in Billings. I will say that areas down in the Boulder River can be good but their website says they are hunting the A-B wilderness north of Yellowstone. No way I would pay for a hunt in that country. It sounds great because they market being just outside of Yellowstone, but the realities are that during archery most elk are in the park and during rifle most elk are down on private in their winter grounds. The densities of elk in the A-B wilderness are low. The hunts on the private ranches could have potential depending on which ranch. I would do a lot of research there. There are some giant bulls in the Crazies but they are mostly down on the private ranches. There are only like 3 public access points onto the public in the Crazies so getting access onto a private ranch that butts up to the public might not be a terrible option. I would call a lot of references.
Guess I should clarify that I was looking to hunt their private ranches in November.

I am in similar boat as you are Cowboy 11. The elk hunting around the crazies is mostly a game of private ranch hunting via outfitters and a lot of money. Frustrating as all get out. The absaroka bear tooth outfitter advertises Griz watching trips on horseback in summer. That sounds like a lotta Griz. If he is elk hunting via horseback from trailhead the same area… what made your bow trip disappointing? I didn’t draw a tag for bull elk in my choice area last year. Was going to mostly diy hunt. There is a lotta info to digest . Look at count of elk from Mt FWP. Read Missoula paper about hunting zones hearings. Find outfitter reviews parse out facts.

J&J Guide Service, MT
Sage Peak Outfitters, MT
J Bar O Outfitters, MT
Thanks!

cowboy11: I'm contemplating/planning for a future MT elk hunt, too, and stumbled into your post. I'm not a MT resident and have 3 points saved up. Are you having luck in trying to plan a rifle hunt with just a few points? I know I can bow hunt with a couple but I'd love to try a rifle hunt for the later season and change of pace. It just seems like I'll need to keep stacking points.

FWIW I did a rifle mulie hunt with J&J Guide Service 4 years ago and had a great hunt. That was from their Mussleshell location in the center of the state and my only guided hunting experience to date. Talked to Rich (I think) last year about elk but they were booked for 2 years. The bunkhouse was pretty basic but everything else was very good. I can recommend them. I'm going to look at the other outfitters in your list but would love to know how you progressed here. Thanks!

Steely610

FNG
cowboy11: I'm contemplating/planning for a future MT elk hunt, too, and stumbled into your post. I'm not a MT resident and have 3 points saved up. Are you having luck in trying to plan a rifle hunt with just a few points? I know I can bow hunt with a couple but I'd love to try a rifle hunt for the later season and change of pace. It just seems like I'll need to keep stacking points.

FWIW I did a rifle mulie hunt with J&J Guide Service 4 years ago and had a great hunt. That was from their Mussleshell location in the center of the state and my only guided hunting experience to date. Talked to Rich (I think) last year about elk but they were booked for 2 years. The bunkhouse was pretty basic but everything else was very good. I can recommend them. I'm going to look at the other outfitters in your list but would love to know how you progressed here. Thanks!
We're doing the Two Bears with J&J this year. Rich seemed really genuine and honest about how hard the terrain will be. Glad to hear his other camps have positive reviews, hopefully we have a great hunt as wel!