Rifle Dilemma

turley

Lil-Rokslider
A couple years ago I bought a Kimber Montana in 6.5 Creedmoor and it's been a great rifle.....I just have always had a soft spot for the 7mm-08.
So now I'm in the market for another rifle and prefer a 20" barrel and have narrowed it down to these three (other suggestions welcome) and would like some assistance in deciding.

1. Tikka T3X Superlite. It has a 22.4" barrel but it can be cut and threaded. Accurate, smooth action, but not a hug fan of the stock. Roughly 6lbs. Most economical at under $800

2. CA Mesa FFT. Not yet available but have handled the regular Mesa and like the fit. It seems like Kimber there is a love it or hate it group as I've read about possible quality control issues. Expected to be around 5.5lbs but the original Mesa if I recall was normally over advertised weight. Comes with a 20" threaded barrel and break. Roughly $1600

3. Fierce Fury. High quality control, smooth action, accurate, nice stock, 20" thread barrel and break (available via email correspondence). It's the heaviest out of the group and over 6.5lbs and by far the most expensive at roughly $2300. I guess at over $1500 more than the Tikka it may be hard to justify.....but it's definitely a nice rifle.

Overall, common sense tells me to go with the Tikka even though it would get shortened as it's a very accurate rifle for the money...and will do everything as well as the other two in hunting situations. That said not taking common sense into account the Fierce is an aesthetically pleasing and accurate rifle.
So, of these three what would you go with and why?

Thanks

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
All great options but something we always worry about is the rigidity of the stock. When rifles are being made that light, they are taking a lot of rigidity out of the forend of those stocks. Most of the time they are going to be skeletonized to get every ounce possible out. With that being said, if you have inconsistent pressures when you are loading a bipod or resting your rifle on a pack, then your shot can be off from your zero. As you go up in price it gets better, but here is another option to consider. We have also had a lot of customers drop their T3 into a chassis which could be another option for you. Just a few things to take into consideration while you are looking at your new rifle.

I'd say go with the Superlite - the barrel isn't twisted as fast as it should be but they do shoot great, at least mine does. So if you don't plan on shooting super heavy bullets you are good. If you aren't in love with the stock you could always change that out for a Manners or a McMillan Edge stock which is what I have on mine. You would be into it for roughly $1300-$1400 with the new stock so still much less than the Fierce.

One thing you will want to verify though is that I'm not 100% you have enough unfluted barrel to cut 2"+ inches off before you are into the flutes. It might be pretty close??

OP
T

turley

Lil-Rokslider
Regarding having enough barrel before fluting…I was thinking the same thing. Probably would find a T3X Lite and wouldn’t have to worry about it.

The only legitimate knock on the Tikka is the 1:9.5 twist; it may cause some stability issues with some bullets.

I personally would buy the Tikka and apply the savings to getting hand-loads developed and/or applying to the optics budget.

But we all have different things to stroke our egos. I’m partial to accuracy and having money in my pocket.

wyosam

WKR
Buy a tikka youth 7-08. Barrel is already 20”, just needs threaded. Put it in a stock you love, and you’re still way under the fierce. Could have it ceracoated to look however you want and still be way under as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ringtail

FNG
I have a Savage Lightweight Storm in 7mm-08. It has a 20 inch barrel and 5.5 pounds. If i didnt have it i would go with the tikka and chop it to 20 inch

OP
T

turley

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the feedback.....although I do like my Kimber Montana would like to go with something different and very likely will try and find a Tikka T3X Lite as the barrel isn't fluted...or a T3X Lite Compact as they do come with a 20" barrel (the compact in 7mm-08 do seem hard to find however).

i also like the tikka program. i have a good friend with 2 CA's which have been great for him, but i wouldn't go that route based on how much poor QC i have heard from them. another friend has a Fierce, which is a nice rifle, but i would personally rather go with the tikka and spend some money making it how i want it.... i have had a few and been around a bunch more, and the consistency is just been great, they are light, smooth actions, really good factory trigger, etc.

the 7-08 is a great cartridge, i have had a few over the years and there is a lot to like about that cartridge, so i don't blame you there. keep us posted what you end up with

not that you need another option, but a used Barret Fieldcraft is another cool rifle, and a good match to the 7-08

OP
T

turley

Lil-Rokslider
I actually looked at a Fieldcraft a few years ago and went with the Montana as it just fit better. Plus, with the price now of a used Fieldcraft it would be as much if not more than a new Fierce Futy.

OP
T

turley

Lil-Rokslider
I do prefer the Fierce 1:8" rate vs the CA 1:9" and Tikka 1:9.5".....but as I don't hand load as of now (maybe in the future) current manufactured ammunition weights should be stabilized perfectly fine in any of these.

For those with a Tikka Superlite with a 22.4" barrel, what is the length of barrel from tip to start of fluting?

Thanks

I do prefer the Fierce 1:8" rate vs the CA 1:9" and Tikka 1:9.5".....but as I don't hand load as of now (maybe in the future) current manufactured ammunition weights should be stabilized perfectly fine in any of these.

For those with a Tikka Superlite with a 22.4" barrel, what is the length of barrel from tip to start of fluting?

Thanks
From the tip of the barrel to the beginning of the fluting is 3.5 inches on my Tikka T3 SL. Mine is 7RM and not a T3x. Don’t know if that would be different.

I have a Tikka T3X superlight on 7mm/08 stainless and it is an awesome shooter and a pleasure to carry.. I'm ok with the factory, but may eventually upgrade it.. For now though, it is definitely a "keeper" All the best..

OP
T

turley

Lil-Rokslider
On the Tikka T3x Superlite 7mm-08 (22.4" Barrel) there is roughly 1.575" from end to beginning of fluting so doesn't provide enough smooth barrel to cut to my preferred 20" length...and couldn't find a T3X Lite.
So as I really like the Sako/Tikka action decided on going with a Fierce Fury 7mm-08 (20" Steel Barrel) as it was in a sense key turn ready - as I would have upgraded the stock and such on the Tikka.....plus found a pretty good price.

Cheers and thanks :)

sneaky

"DADDY"
Kimber Adirondack in 7-08. Between myself and my cousin we have three of them. All 3 shoot well under MOA are ridiculously light and easy to carry. Bought the last one for about $1500 brand new, bought another off GB for $1350. Nowadays they're harder to find a deal on, but they're out there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk