Rifle conundrum.. what to get!?

Edit: Got the Weatherby! Topped it off with a NF SHV 3-10!

f8a69d04c6e2a888568adb8316171681.jpg

Looking to add a new rifle to the stable, ideally for elk/big game. I have a nice .308 for whitetail, and as a backup for elk.

I know the .308 will work. I also know I like new rifles.

Currently I’m looking at:

A. Weatherby MK V Hunter

B. Tikka T3X Lite Roughtech Ember

C. Tikka T3X Lite Veil Widelands

D. ???

Caliber wise I’m undecided. I want a 7mm mag, but I already have components to load 300 win mag. 300wsm sounds fun too, but isn’t available in the Weatherby, and I’d have to find dies and brass.

30 cal has a bonus over 7mm because I have a ton of 165-200gr projectiles. But I’d still like a 7mm mag!

My budget is sub-$1400/$1500 and sub-$1200 would be even better. Threaded is essential as I have a harvester evo that will be going on the rifle. I plan to add either a VX-5HD or a Swaro v3.

Is there anything I’m not looking at that I should? Wish I could just buy them all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Firestone

WKR
7mag is fantastic. And it's pretty hard to beat a tikka, I reload for my brothers 6.5prc t3x lite veil wildlands and it is a hammer. Had a 5 shot a 2.5" group at 600 hundred with it.

hiker270

WKR
Tikka T3X 300 mag in one of the Roughtech models is one great hunting rifle. Sub-MOA guarantee, awesome adjustable trigger, fluted barrel, and a threaded barrel and included muzzle brake. My elk hunting crew (myself and 2 others) all have Tikka Roughtech's. A 7mm mag and 2 300 mags. No complaints from any of us on Tikka. This year it was 3 for 3 on elk in Colorado in a high mountain drop camp.

OP
allstajacket
Tikka T3X 300 mag in one of the Roughtech models is one great hunting rifle. Sub-MOA guarantee, awesome adjustable trigger, fluted barrel, and a threaded barrel and included muzzle brake. My elk hunting crew (myself and 2 others) all have Tikka Roughtech's. A 7mm mag and 2 300 mags. No complaints from any of us on Tikka. This year it was 3 for 3 on elk in Colorado in a high mountain drop camp.

This is what I was thinking.. I really dig the new Roughtech Ember model, but I may just go for the standard because they are available much cheaper.. could put a custom carbon stock on it down the road anyways?

I'm partial to Weatherby rifles so I would go go with Mark V hunter. I know there is a lot of love for the Tikka on here but you mentioned you reload and COAL can be an issue with magnums in a Tikka.

The Mark V action will allow you to seat bullets as long as you need. For your price range, I would also look into the Weatherby Vanguard rifles. They are similar in weight to the Markk V, allow 3.6" coal, and you can put a Peak 44 stock on it for the same cost as the Mark V.

RS3579

WKR
300wsm is a good choice, until you need to get ammo. I’ve seen 7mm and 300wm readily available everywhere I went to find 300wsm ammo. If I hade to do it again I’d probably go with whatever gun is lighter to a specific caliber. Good luck.

wnelson14

WKR
I would hold tight see what comes out after shot show, save a little more for upping your budget. Good possibility of long action from the Springfield Waypoint line, new Bergara rifles look sweet as well.

nobody

WKR
Tikka, no question. Your limitation on the true magnum rounds can be the mag length, but that’s a different conversation.

Have some experience with the weatherby’s. If I was forced into a weatherby, it would be the vanguard line. The MK V, though sexier looking, has an action feel I don’t care for, and I’m not sold on their multi-rowed lug designs. I’ve seen some shoot well, and know of others that shoot larger groups than I can with my shotgun and some 6 shot pheasant loads. That said, I’ll never own a Vanguard either, as there’s nothing better about them than a Tikka for my use case.

And then save up for a more reliable optic than the Leupold or Swaro, neither one will be rugged or reliable in hard use situations.

Gila

WKR
I'm partial to Weatherby rifles so I would go go with Mark V hunter. I know there is a lot of love for the Tikka on here but you mentioned you reload and COAL can be an issue with magnums in a Tikka.

The Mark V action will allow you to seat bullets as long as you need. For your price range, I would also look into the Weatherby Vanguard rifles. They are similar in weight to the Markk V, allow 3.6" coal, and you can put a Peak 44 stock on it for the same cost as the Mark V.
I bought a Tikka T3x in .300 win mag and regret it. The mags have a max cartridge length of 3.37”. I am going to re-barrel the Tikka to a 6.8 Western or just sell it. I am planning on building a 300 win mag rifle on an action that can use a Wyatts. Another thumbs up here for the Weatherby or option D.

Mulyhuntr

WKR
Definitely 300wsm in a Tikka if you plan to reload. Although I love 7mag the coal limitation in tikkas is annoying, albeit doesn't seem to affect accuracy.

TheHammer

WKR
I’m partial to 110s. So I’m obviously going to suggest taking a look at them. My top 3 110s in a magnum option are as follows, first I’d suggest a timberline, high country and then the ultralight… all have threaded barrels. The first 2 have brakes. The ergos on the stock are slightly different on the first 2 as well vs the ultralight.

Gila

WKR
I had ordered a .300 WSM but cancelled because i couldn’t find any ammo or brass. There is 30-40 different factory loads for the 300 win mag and plenty of brass. Same thing with the 7 Rem Mag.

Last edited:

Gila

WKR
I’m thinking possibly of doing the same. Does the 7mm mag have the same COAL issue as the 300wm?

You would only have a Tikka mag length issue with the 7 RM on the very heavy high BC LDFs because they are very long bullets. Bergers and Barnes, ELD-Xs, LRAB bullets need to be seated shallow to save powder space. To get accuracy, the LDFs have to be seated so that the OGIVE is within 150 thousands of touching the lands. The 300 win mag is more limited than the 7 RM because the case and the LDF bullets are longer in the .300. If you load the traditional bullets like Accubonds, Interbonds, bondstrikes etc., you won’t have any issues fitting them in a Tikka mag And they will be accuarate.

Any factory ammo will fit the Tikka mag and it will shoot laser beams when you find the ammo it likes. The Tikka barrels are one of the best, if not the best, production rifle barrels made. The barrels are cold hammer forged and are so good they don’t require a break-in. I think you would be extremely happy with a Tikka in 7 Rem Mag.

OP
allstajacket
You would only have a Tikka mag length issue with the 7 RM on the very heavy high BC LDFs because they are very long bullets. Bergers and Barnes, ELD-Xs, LRAB bullets need to be seated shallow to save powder space. To get accuracy, the LDFs have to be seated so that the OGIVE is within 150 thousands of touching the lands. The 300 win mag is more limited than the 7 RM because the case and the LDF bullets are longer in the .300. If you load the traditional bullets like Accubonds, Interbonds, bondstrikes etc., you won’t have any issues fitting them in a Tikka mag.

Any factory ammo will fit the Tikka mag and it will shoot laser beams when you find the ammo it likes. The Tikka barrels are one of the best, if not the best, production rifle barrels made. The barrels are cold hammer forged and are so good they don’t require a break-in. I think you would be extremely happy with a Tikka in 7 Rem Mag.

I reload exclusively and have lots of components on hand for 300win. But I typically load to standard length. Up to 200gr, mainly partitions, accubonds, and some Hornady stuff.

I recently picked up a Browning Xbolt Speed SR in 300WM and am really happy with it. They come in 7RM too. Fast twist rate, short threaded barrel, light and accurate. Worth a look.

Gila

WKR
I reload exclusively and have lots of components on hand for 300win. But I typically load to standard length. Up to 200gr, mainly partitions, accubonds, and some Hornady stuff.

You should be able to load those bullets to 3.37” and be accurate in a Tikka. 180 gr Accubonds shoot really good in my Rifle. I loaded up some 200 gr Eld-Xs to 3.37’ COAL but don’t know how they will shoot yet. Those bullets are 1.53“ I believe. The boat tail is way below the shoulder so the load is highly compressed....crunch! Crunch!

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon and a Tikka T3X that I converted to 35 Whelen AI.

Love both guns. Tikka action is slightly better. Browning everything else is slightly better. You can't go wrong with either.