Rifle Cleaning and best .308 patch for jag

Benjblt

WKR
So i need a little advise on gun cleaning. I've been using the KG products and no matter how many times I run the nylon brush through I still see copper fouling when looking down the barrel. I'm thinking of switching to Boretech, at least Boretech Cu for the copper fouling. Is this a good choice is it worth getting Boretech Eliminator or the C4 carbon remover?

Also, I have had trouble finding a good patch for my 300 WSM. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys! I'm not a noob but i'm not very advanced with my cleaning skills.

cmahoney

WKR
I use boretech eliminator and the copper solvent with Proshot round patches after years of trial and error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not an expert far as the solvents go.
I've used the kg and wasn't impressed.
Used sweets and it was still taking forever.
In my heavy copper fouled rifle I ended up getting the kriol oil and paste kit from brownells.

Also have had trouble matching jags and patches.

I buy the hoppes 12ga patches and cut them with sizzors.
If I remember in half for 30 cal and quarters for 22

BuckSnort

WKR
Don't over think it....

Get a good one piece cleaning rod, a bore guide and a jag set and a bottle of Wipe-Out foaming bore cleaner..

Brent111368

Lil-Rokslider
And you could have a barrel that cooper fouls easily. Does the rifle shoot well? I always had good luck with Sweets and on occasion I would use JB Bore Paste. Do you have tight spots when pushing a patch thru? Best practice to clean often and clean properly.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
And you could have a barrel that cooper fouls easily. Does the rifle shoot well? I always had good luck with Sweets and on occasion I would use JB Bore Paste. Do you have tight spots when pushing a patch thru? Best practice to clean often and clean properly.
It's shot well before. I just cleaned a couple weeks ago with the Gunwerks system (KG). Yesterday I cleaned it again with the Boretech and tons of copper came out. The last couple patches came out with no blue but I could steel see a little copper on the lands towards the tip of my barrel. I called it good though. I'm going to see if it shoots different.

rayporter

WKR
everyone has a different feel for how they like a patch to fit. dont over think it, get several sizes of patches and roll on.

i use 7mm jags in a 308 and vary the patches to get the fit i like. i dont like really tight patch fit and sometimes spear the patch a little off center to get a loose fit. too tight and you squeeze out all the solvent.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I use all Montana Extreme products and have had excellent results with their line of gun cleaning supplies. Their nylon brushes and their jags/cleaning rods work great for me.

Make sure you use a bore guide to protect your rifles and don't use patches that are too tight fitting like most guys do. Let the solvent do its job! It feels like it takes forever to wait that 15 minutes plus for the solvent to sit and work, but it's worth it. Take your time and do it right with good quality product.

16Bore

WKR
It ain’t da’ jag, it’s da’ juice.

Wipe Out is the stuff. Put a piece of fuel line on the nozzle and spray from the chamber. Keeps it out of the mag/action. Set it and forget it. Couple of patches and you’re done.