Rifle Built for Two?

Hey guys,

I'm just barely starting to learn about long range rifle shooting/hunting, and I'm very happy with some improvements I've been able to see with my 7mm Rem Mag.

Now it's my wife's turn, and I'm thinking about getting her a 6.5 Creedmoor, good optics, and slowly building this gun into the nicest rifle setup we own. Here's the problem though, I'm going to want to shoot it too! If money were no object I'd get my own, but that's not possible. I occasionally shoot her 7mm-08 when I can't find ammo for mine, but it feels like I'm shooting a kids gun.

Are there any hacks in building this rifle that would make it so that I could still shoot her rifle well, although it would primarily be set up for her?

OP
bowtech101st
Primarily yes, I know you get get a chassis, but is there anything you can do with a standard synthetic hunting stock?

WCB

WKR
Primarily yes, I know you get get a chassis, but is there anything you can do with a standard synthetic hunting stock?
You could by a Savage with the Accustock. Firgure out what shims and risers are best for each of you. If you go to shoot it in 5 minutes you can have it switched out.

You could "make it work" with a strap on cheek pad/pack and a slip on butt pad but IMO both options are junk.

Wapiti1

WKR
You have a few options. Set the stock LOP up for her and use a slip on recoil pad to bring it up to your length. I do that with my wife's rifle. Not perfect, but brings it up to 13" which is usable for me.

Another option is an adjustable length butt plate. These can be added to most stocks. Graco makes a common one. These are usually added to shotguns, but work fine on a rifle.

Put a stock on that has adjustability already built in, like the options noted above.

Jeremy

yfarm

WKR
Buy a Ruger American and a compact stock for it as well. 2 screws and 30 seconds and you change the length of pull. Can buy takeoffs on ebay for $50-100.https://www.ebay.com/itm/134285389100?hash=item1f44086d2c:g:5zMAAOSwEGFjTbil&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoIvA6suEp%2FeYybxjYyxCQpE0M5ubZqFh%2FfuQCyUmDGHfuCvihEnu0qt9Rjd4NreQfWy5APK2P1MgZvH8pjZYfauW%2BVbk5vroHn0vuPs7HxIqNqRAqr5jUzVUWPgBt1y%2F8BCz7E1deA8%2FNKNGf95d%2B%2FNRWSLEMcbPs1fjSuHGadBLG9473yc7jEsycTpqfn3WdM4ddHTdjTLLOJNJTTOWKEg%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR-SDxLSBYQ

Last edited:

LightFoot

WKR
Buy a compact rifle for her and then buy and aftermarket stock with a standard LOP.

I like a Tikka compact for your purpose. Smooth bolt with short bolt throw. Easy to find an aftermarket Tikka replacement stock. Option to rebarrel with prefit. They are reliable and shoot sub-MOA with several different loads.

Swap the stock when you swap the rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

weight goals? and what are you going to be hunting and shooting? do you plan to compete or just hunt and practice longer? how far do you want to be hunting and shooting?

You have a few options. Set the stock LOP up for her and use a slip on recoil pad to bring it up to your length. I do that with my wife's rifle. Not perfect, but brings it up to 13" which is usable for me.

Another option is an adjustable length butt plate. These can be added to most stocks. Graco makes a common one. These are usually added to shotguns, but work fine on a rifle.

Put a stock on that has adjustability already built in, like the options noted above.

Jeremy
^^^^ Nailed it. I bought a McMillan setup perfectly for my wife and added a slip on pad for me. Works great for us.

OP
bowtech101st
weight goals? and what are you going to be hunting and shooting? do you plan to compete or just hunt and practice longer? how far do you want to be hunting and shooting?
I'd like it to be less than 10 lbs. This will be purely for hunting, but want to be able to play with steel as far as we possibly can for practice sessions. Western hunting with shots out to 600 yards max