Rifle Build Help

McCree

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for some input on putting together a good all around big game rifle. Currently I own a few varmint sized rifles and that's it. I primarily bow hunt but I would like to have a good big game rifle in my safe in the event I ever need it. I'm thinking something relatively lightweight for mountain hunting. A caliber large enough for elk/moose. I'm not looking for a $10k custom build but I don't want a $500 option either, just a good quality gun in a good all around big game caliber. What does everyone recommend? Thanks!

tikka t3x or sauer 100 in 6.5 creed will fit the bill very well.

the "rokslide special" is typically interpreted as a tikka t3x stainless in 6.5 creed, 6 creed, 22 creed, or 223, with sportsmatch rings and an SWFA scope, often the 6x or 3-9. I can vouch for the effectiveness of that component combination. You'll also get a bunch of different opinions.

LightFoot

WKR
Since you say elk and moose, that takes the 6.5 out for me. I’d look at a 7mm or 300. The new 7mm PRC would be my choice. I’m seeing ammo at the local academy sports.

My all around favorite is the 300 Win for capability and ammo/component available. The advantage of the 300 win is that you can shoot Whitetail with 150 grain soft points and moose with 180-200 grain bonded lead or mono-metal bullets.

I have a 200 ELD-X load for my 300 Win that I would use on anything from whitetail to moose, but….

My elk hunt next year will me a 7mm with 143 Hammer bullets

And my canada moose hunt with be a .338 with 210 partitions or 225 TSX.

As far as rifles…

Tikka is never a poor choice. The wideland and alpine veil rifles are damn near perfect all-arounders. The magazine length is the limitation there.

Browning Speed (especially the SR version) is a great value.

Weatherby Weathermark LT is a good value. (Though not nearly as sexy or expensive as the Backcountry Ti). Here, I would consider the new 338 Wby RPM.

Bergara, Howa, Ruger, and Savage all make great guns for reasonable costs.

Seekins is one of the best production rifles and under $2K.

The list goes on and on.

I avoid Christensen due to inconsistency is precision. However, there are a lot of Roksliders that have great results with theirs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

B23

WKR
Based on your criteria a Tikka chambered in 300 WSM would be my first choice. You could certainly spend more but you won't find any over the counter rifles that'll shoot any better. You'll have plenty of money left over to put a different stock on it or customize it a bit if you wanted as well.

You could choose a larger caliber but you mentioned wanting it to be relatively lightweight and IMO when you start getting much bigger than a 300 WSM they aren't particularly pleasant to shoot.

Also, the 300 WSM has a good range of accurate factory ammo available for it and if you reload, even better because you can use whatever combo you want.

300 Win mag, 300 Wby mag and 300 RUM would also be good choices.

If you'll be shooting factory ammo you'll want to get something that has good factory ammo available for it but if you reload it really doesn't matter as much.

SDHNTR

WKR
I personally prefer something 7mm+ if elk and moose are on the menu. Are you going to reload? That would make a huge difference in cartridge selection. That said, I think you’d be well served with a 7mm Rem Mag (or 7prc if you like shiny new stuff), a .308, 30-06, or .300 win mag/wsm/prc. Avoid the last ones if you are recoil sensitive and/or prefer to do without a muzzle brake.

You will hear a lot of Tikka suggestions here. Nothing wrong with them. Solid, no frills rifle. Just not my preference. I like something with less plastic and a more refined feel. I like the Winchester M70 in a factory gun. Or a Maverick from Alamo Precision Rifles if you can scratch up some more cheese and want a mostly custom option. Excellent bang for buck in that package.

Pair that with a Trijicon of your choosing on sale from Europtic and you’d be in good shape.

Now get prepared for a million opinions. You will probably be more confused after reading this thread than before you started. Lol.

OP
McCree

McCree

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info so far! I actually had a Tikka T3X in 6.5 a few years back. I bought it for whitetail hunting and never used it. I figured it was too small for moose or larger game so I sold it. I do recall being impressed with the gun itself though. I remember it having a very nice trigger. I have came across the 300 PRC in my research several times. What are the opinions on that caliber?

I figured it was too small for moose or larger game
perhaps these threads will help you determine what is "too small" for you to use on large ungulates with the bullets you'd like to use:

SDHNTR

WKR
Thanks for the info so far! I actually had a Tikka T3X in 6.5 a few years back. I bought it for whitetail hunting and never used it. I figured it was too small for moose or larger game so I sold it. I do recall being impressed with the gun itself though. I remember it having a very nice trigger. I have came across the 300 PRC in my research several times. What are the opinions on that caliber?
The .300 prc is a ballistic winner no doubt. Very effective on game like any 30 cal magnum, but it may also be overkill for your needs.

LightFoot

WKR

Any 300 magnum will be optimal for elk and moose (provide you choose the right bullet).

300 PRC is awesome and efficient and inherently accurate.

The only downside to 300 PRC is the limited factory load offerings and availability.

Get 200 rounds of 212 eldx and 200 rounds of 190 cx… then go hunting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My two cents (inflation upped it from a penny):
  • Agree with others, .284 or larger caliber for moose/elk. Yes, smaller calibers will do it, but one has larger margin of error with bigger calibers. So many to choose from, I think all are really good. If I were purchasing a big game caliber, .300 PRC is very interesting. Browning has an X-Bolt Tungsten, stainless and coated, that looks like a great gun in the .300 PRC. You had mentioned somewhere between a $500 and $10k gun, this one is about $2k.

BjornF16

WKR
How much you want to spend?

Blaser R8 7mm RM; 300 WSM or WM (system is switch barrel)

Sako S20 300 WM

Tikka T3X 300 WSM