Resources on how to shoot better...

roymunson

WKR
I'm a novice long range hunter. No one else in my family did it, so I'm learning as go. I'm particularly new to long range shooting. In Ohio if you have a slug gun that hits a pie plate at 75 yards you were cooking.

I know there are mechanics to shooting better and more accurately (like learning a repeatable golf swing). But theres so many blow hards online that I don't always know who to believe, what to believe, and what's really important or just someone pumping their gums.

Anyone have any good resources either on youtube or otherwise that'd help a guy who's got the equipment to shoot long range, but knows he's currently the limiting factor in how to shoot accurately?

Flyjunky

WKR
I really like the way Phil Velayo describes getting into shooting position for prone. He talks about "building a bridge" and getting the gun more centered on your body. I've been working on that quite a bit and found my recoil management is much better. You can find some of his videos on Youtube.

Here's my advice and it's not "cool" as it requires face-to-face interaction with a real life human being...

Take a shooting fundamentals class. If the budget allows for it, do it one-on-one as the instructor can provide instant feedback to correct any flaws. It also allows you to ask questions and get instant answers. It's even better if they can video everything and actually show you what you are doing wrong, what change to make, etc. Then go practice to build up your fundamentals. Once your fundamentals are solid, then look at moving on.

For transitioning to "long range" shooting, I'd still strongly recommend taking a one-on-one shooting class. It's better to learn how to do things properly from the onset rather than having to unlearn bad habits later. Take what you learned and then go practice.

There's a thread about what someone did at the range that day. I strongly recommend reading it and following it. Each range visit, each shot fired, etc. should have a clear purpose. Otherwise you're pissing away money on wasted ammo.

I've seen enough "long range" rookies ring steel at distances they previously could not comprehend but with a bit of instruction and field time they made it happen. Besides competent instruction, the key to their quick "success" was due to solid shooting fundamentals. I've also seen the flip side with self-proclaimed "shooters" who can't hit the broadside of a barn at 500 yards due to poor fundamentals and/or fear of their rifle.

Disclaimer: Just because you can ring steel at 1000 yards does not mean that you are 100% capable of shooting animals under any and all conditions at the same distances.

OP
roymunson

roymunson

WKR
I agree with going to an instructor. However here in Ohio ranges for rifle work are few and far between.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Modern Day Sniper/Marksman, Snipers Hide videos, Bryan Litz/Applied Ballistics, and Ryan Cleckner all have very good videos that are worthwhile. You can pay for online training videos and they are worth it if you put in the time on the range implementing them.

Bryan Litz books by Applied Ballistics are the best on the technical aspect of ballistics which is necessary. He has done some new work with Berger about ballistics.

You only need one range, and personal instruction is worth it. I have spent a morning helping older teens with shooting for on .22 rifles, and then had them get behind my doped in rifle and ring steel at 1000 yards. Of course, all the work on the rifle, ammo, ballistics, and wind call was done by me, but they had the fundamentals well enough to all hit within 3 shots. Two adults had first round hits the last time we went out.

I flew to Texas and Colorado to train with guys, and learned a ton that I couldn't online. It was 100% worth it to get specifics.

Just one range is enough, you might try this one. http://thundervalleyprecision.com/schedule/

MJB

WKR

This one has some real-life scenarios in the field

Also, Apple Seed Project is really good for all positions and how to use a sling to shoot

https://appleseedinfo.org/

Also, a Red Ryder bb gun is a must when learning to shoot.....I know it sounds silly but that gun has taught Kentucky windage for decades! plus you can shoot it every day for cheap

PRC_GUY

WKR
This is what I do at the range:
Shoot as much as I could.
Shoot with the rifle I choose to go hunting.
Shoot from different positions .
Choose a day with bad weather and practice .
Run at the range , push up and set timer to take a shot at 20 or 30 seconds

The are a lot resources online to learn and good luck.

Big Ern

WKR
Check out Max Ordinate Academy (California)
Altus Shooting Academy (FL?)
Or any of the other reputable long range precision rifles schools (Mile High in CO)

They will get your fundamentals dialed in. Then, go shoot. Then shoot some more.

Wrench

WKR
There's plenty of competitive f class guys in your area. I would go watch some matches or even enter up. You'll get free coaching and hands on. The BEST cure for inexperience is experience.

7LRM

Lil-Rokslider
I am a self tough for a while, learn from my daily shooting at the range, I really want to go to shooting school this year.